Replacing kit kens - AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens

laxing22

I would like to get a "better" lens than the one my D90 came with (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens )
It is just not as sharp as I would like and I have a few other minor issues with it. That being said, I basically like the lens, just wish it was a little better with DOF (I would like non-focused objects to be more blurred) Use for portraits and nature shots so at least some zoom would be needed.

Any thoughts, (I would like to avoid going too much over $1,000)

First, blurring the backround is more a product your distance from the subject, the focal length of the lens, the construction of the diaphrams and the aperture setting of the lens. I don't know your expertise in photography, but some experimenting with what you have might get you there. That being said,

I really don't personally like that lens. If you step up to larger aperture lenses, it will help, but your quoted price is a hair low for a zoom in that range. You could look into something to compliment that lens. An 80-200 AF 2.8 can be picked up just over the 1000 buck mark, and should provide you with great results. I do believe the D90 has a motor in the body, you can correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124669-USA/Nikon_1986_AF_Zoom_Nikkor_80_200mm_f_2_8D.html

This is close to your price range, and zoom range and though I've never used it, the reviews seem good.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...AF_S_NIKKOR_24_120mm_f_4G.html#costumerReview

Jesse speaks the truth, since the lens you're looking at has the same maximum aperture as the one you have now it isn't going to change the bokeh (blurry out of focus background stuff) characteristics appreciably.

The second lens I posted may only be an f4, but it has a 9 blade diaphragm instead of a 7 blade that the 18-105 has. To the OP, that's what I meant by construction of the diaphragms.

I'm learning more everyday. Thanks guys. D90 has a motor. I guess I would rather go faster than get more zoom, I also have the nikor base zoom (50-200) and don't care for it (cheap zoom and didn't know any better). If I had to bump over the k mark it is ok, just not by a bunch. I just do this for fun.

Back