reptile/snake fans

Nice. So tempting. I haven't had a snake since my (ex)wife made me sell them off about 10 years ago. For the past year I've tossed around the idea of getting a baby redtail. I think it's more my desire for another project. My last redtail had a wicked home I built for it. It measured 10 feet long and 5 feet tall and 4 feet deep. The 3 sides of viewing were all plexi-glass with small holes drilled for assisted ventilation. The top of the enclosure was chicken wire. The bottom was solid plywood that I sealed with epoxy. The front door was basically the entire front of the cage swinging up and out of my way in 2 pieces affording full access. I used a HPS lamp to help simulate sunlight. At the bottom of the enclosure along the back wall I built a planter again sealed in epoxy. In it I planted various types of ivy which grew up along the back wall which also had chicken wire helping the ivy quickly cover the entire wall. I used 3 - 1" dowl rods and made a teepee on the far side of the cage and used 2 additional pieces running from the center of the teepee horizontally to the corners of the cage. This was all drilled together and solid, also covered in ivy. It was rather killer to have my 8 foot long redtail curled up in the rods covered in ivy. I also mounted a large cat litter box into a custom frame that slid in and out of the cage with ease. I filled this with water. The snake would soak in it anytime it was shedding to ease the process. Sorta neat watching a large snake lay underwater with just its nostrils above water. Lucky for me the snake also used the litter box anytime it releaved itself making for a very ease and clean clean-up. When I got rid of the snake I sold the cage for $500 to a couple that had 2 iguanas.

Now you have me thinking of where I could put another similar cage into my present home :lol:

If you want to get a boa let me know- I can get all kinds of cool stuff. I have always had a snake or 600 since I was a child. Right now the boy has a striped phase redtail. I would avoid pet shop snakes unless you know the breeder and lines of their product-which will not be attainable in this case.

damn, that sounds like one heck of a setup, any pics...not that i'd steal any designs or anything

hey syrinx hows the world treating you, as far as the breeder goes it's some local dude and this is his first time

I am doing great Jack- if you decide to Boa up let me know if you have any questions. To be honest one of the best snake breeders in the country lives within a mile of you. He has produced top quality boas for over 25 years,as well as some of the most coveted asian rat snakes.

Trust me Scott, I'm well aware of the track record of Sailfin in regards to reptiles. I don't think I'll get back involved with snakes, but if I do, you'll be the first contact.

Sorry, no pics local44. I'm not concerned with you stealing any designs. If you do the snake thing, and want to build a cage, I won't mind at all giving some ideas. Just holla'

Back