Returning member?

jt48

Hi all

I’m considering returning to the hobby. I broke down my 1000 gallon system a couple of years ago and moved from Pennsylvania to Washington. I live on the shore of the Strait of Juan de Fuca which is fairly healthy and diverse. I’m considering setting up a native species aquarium. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Welcome back! I have no idea on creating a local species tank other than you may need a chiller as I’d believe it to be colder water species and may look at your local fishing regulations for collection of organisms

You'll definitely need a chiller to keep the tank at the appropriate temp for NW species. Check with the local laws on collecting and keeping local organisms. It may also be a good idea to visit nearby fish/pet stores to see if they offer any local sea life. You won't be able to use aquacultured live rock because it's all harvested from Indo-Pacific and Carribean, South Florida sea temps. The chilly northern Pacific sea temps would kill all of the beneficial bacteria and microorganisms in and on the rocks.

Interesting, but aren’t those fish like long cod and sea bass and halibut way to big?
Or maybe not if your running 1000g, that’s big waters.
Interesting.

That does sound cool! There a lot of colorful anemones up there, as well as gorgeous macro algae. Find out the local collection laws. In some places all you need is a fishing license, other places require more. Should be doable. Do it!

Back