Right Temp?

pnavarro170

S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT
just got my new finnex titanium led digital heater with temp probe. sounds fancy but its under $40, anyways, the temp said it was at 72, when the cheap $1.99 glass thermometer said it was at 76-77. which one is right ???? and should i keep it cooler or warmer now???

I would believe the digital temp probe before I would believe the cheap glass one. I tested a glass one I use in the QT and it was off by 3 degrees compared to the Apex. I think you will like those heaters! :)

Jay

I would trust the digital for the reason its actually inside the water and the other one its thru the outside maybe the room temperature may affect it, its my opion

well ive had the tank pretty cold then for the most part if it was reading 72. going to set it at 75, what do you think about 78-79 ??????. keep in mind its mostly sps fish will adapt.

i see soft corals do better in higher end, but i might be wrong, the only reason i dont go to the higher end is that the halides can heat the tank also so i try to keep it low that way it only fluctuates a couple of degrees in a safer zone.

Yes I think stability is key more than the actual temp. I will bring mine down to 79 in the summer but keep the swing to half a degree.

Man the server is sloooooow tonight!

Jay

correct which is why i wanted this heater. temp got up to 77 with the heater set at 75 and a normal halide day. so im gonna keep it at 77 and adjust the water flow and fan time. also got my sybon refractometer today, turns out the newer coralife hydrometer was dead on. haha, i was kinda half hoping it was off a couple degrees at least, but now i know and can rest better haha.

old fashion mercury thermometer do not lie!!! I keep my tank at or a little above 80 degrees. I also use Stealth heaters since they have a lifetime warranty. Thanks

Steffen Sparks

old fashion mercury thermometer do not lie!!! I keep my tank at or a little above 80 degrees. I also use Stealth heaters since they have a lifetime warranty. Thanks

Steffen Sparks
I'm using the stealth's too! Really no matter what you are using just check calibration so you are confident in what the thermometer is reading.

Jay

what is the range on your digital one. get a glass of ice water and calibrate it that way.

Correct a glass of ice waters stays at a constant 32 degrees. But from what i heard from Digital Aquatics is that the Temp probe is calibrated at 77 degrees. So i dont know if that matters like a pH probe? They also tell you that you should throw away and buy new heaters every year or so. Thanks

Steffen Sparks
PS. Love my Marineland Stealths though. they have new models now will the LED lights in them.

They also tell you that you should throw away and buy new heaters every year or so.

i love their marketing plan. we build crap so just replace it all the time. don't worry it will be cheap enough you will hardly feel us in your back pocket.

The key here is stability. Some reefers keep their tank at 76 while others keep them at 82 or higher. The key here is the tanks, regardless of the weather or season, are kept at a constant stable temp throughout the year.

Also, don't crank up the temp so high in one shot. It will affect the fish and the corals and they won't adapt. When you change temperatures up or down, it has to be gradual over the course of a couple to a few days.

Oh yeah, I also have ML Stealth heater. I like it quite a bit. Its better then the cr@ppy one I received with this system.

i love their marketing plan. we build crap so just replace it all the time. don't worry it will be cheap enough you will hardly feel us in your back pocket.

LOL that is what i have heard from other hobbiest not from the company. That is what i like about Marineland is there lifetime warranty even though i have never used it. To tell you the truth my ACJR runs my heaters not the heaters themselves. But i do check my temperature throughout the day though. I also run my light during the night since it helps with the colder weather as well. thanks

Steffen Sparks

well that's good to hear. i am thinking of switching my lighting schedule, but then if i have guests, they sleep in the living room and have to sleep with a 250w night light.

well i tried a day without fans durning halides, and it gets up to 79, heater set at 77, so not to bad, but if im here fans will be on, and ill upgrade the fans to come on automatically with the halides to keep it more stable.

Back