Tank has been at 72deg for a long time!

secure1347

Hi, I just learned that my Apex temp probe on my 150 gallon has been off by 6+ deg F. I normally have it set to 78.5 and it doesn't vary by more than 0.5 deg. I felt like the temperature of the water felt a little cold though so I just measured the temp with 3 cheap digital probes and a mercury thermometer and they ready anywhere from 71.2 to 72 deg F. I don't know how long my tank has run like this and all my fish and coral seem ok. In fact, they all look perfectly fine and the coral is overgrowing the tank. I'm going to slowly raise the temp of my tank, but I'm wondering how the inhabitants will take to the higher temps? I have mostly soft corals, but some hammers, flower pots, mushrooms, Pavona , and a small monti. This tank has been established for 8+ years, and last time I checked the calibration was probably over a year ago. The only thing I have noticed lately is some red cotton algae that was growing on the sand which I've done my best to remove. It grows in my sump so that may be unrelated.

Any thoughts I need to be concerned about? Should I change the temp up to 78.5 slowly over several days?

Ok, I raised it 3 deg last night over several hours, so I will let it go for a day and then raise it a degree a day after that.

Back