Rimless Edge [6 Gallon Reef Powered by Nanobox]

Whew. Overflow complete.
15265677537_b20bc0c274.jpg

15265679197_d338da24c7.jpg

I'm running behind on this build. Leak test tomorrow. And hopefully I'll have it running saltwater on Wednesday, with livestock transfer by next Friday/Sat.

Does anyone know how to quiet down an external durso?

My pipes occasionally burp & I can definitely hear water spill into my sump. The distal end (sump) of my overflow pipe is submerged under water too.

Slowly working on cleaning up the build & tying up loose ends:

I spent this afternoon making a foam holder for my fish food, test kids and misc:
image by yang_xiaoxi, on Flickr
image by yang_xiaoxi, on Flickr

Hopefully now that I have a legitimate holder for my tubes and foods, I'll keep things organized instead of leaving them laying around.

Last edited:
That is a nice bit of organization:). Its seems that the more stuff you have the messier things get:lol:

That is a nice bit of organization:). Its seems that the more stuff you have the messier things get:lol:

So true! It always goes from :celeb2: to :headwalls:

I picked up a frogspawn and a torch from a local reefer and rescaped my tank (to fit them in).

15432405408_a526a02846.jpg

15432529087_be658ec022.jpg

15432603318_06cc0a4251.jpg

That scape is soooo AMAZING. How do you go about aquascaping a nano? I'm keen to know any tips as I've just got myself a new nano and it needs scaping:)

That scape is soooo AMAZING. How do you go about aquascaping a nano? I'm keen to know any tips as I've just got myself a new nano and it needs scaping:)
Thank you so much!

I think the key to scaping a nano is an interplay between balance and imbalance.

The overall outline of the scape needs to have enough balance and flow so the eyes can follow a path, but on the other hand, you also have to introduce enough imbalance (through the weight of the corals color, movement, or size) to keep the eyes moving.

Here's the scape this morning. The frogspawn and hammer are perking up nicely!

15436667389_4b5a46ae68.jpg

I see. How long did it take you to build the scape?

The scape has been in progress for the past 6 months, but it only took me a few days for me to figure out what I wanted the main flow of my scape to be. I knew I wanted the viewers eyes to start on the left and flow to the right.

Everything modification since then has been to strengthen it. For example, the red monti draws the viewer's gaze and the flow of the arch pulls the viewer's gaze across the scape. Then the bush of hammers on the right and the end of the arch creates a nice resting point for the viewer's gaze before it's pulled back out into the scape again.

I find that it would only take a few little tweaks to improve most aquascapes. Often, there are usually either too many pieces vying for the viewer's attention (i.e too many focal points) or no focal point. This creates either an aquascape that is too chaotic, or too easily read and visually boring.
Hope this helps!

Thanks R35!

Back