Rio pump question

bwayne315

Does anyone know anything about the Rio pumps? I had a 2500 and I threw it in the trash because it was putting current in my tank. I need to replace it, but I don't know if I should go with another Rio, or get something else? It is for a skimmer.

Thanks
B.

i use a Sedra 3500 on my G2 skimmer. I also run a Rio HF 21 and 32 for my return pumps and they have been fine. I have another Rio HF 17 and a 1400 that the impellers locked up on after a week of being out of the water. I tryed to loosen them in viniger, water, and nother would break them free. They finally ended up cracking on me so now I have to almost new pumps with no impellers in them. I cannot find impellers for the Rio HF 32 anywhere.

It is a Berlin classic skimmer. I know it isn't the greatest, I just have to make sure that I keep up with my water changes.

I guess that I could look for a mod to the Berlin skimmer

Taam products just don't hold up very well. I've never used a Berlin skimmer so I'm not sure what pump would be best.

I just didn't want to get another Rio pump if it was going to be dumping electricity into my tank. It seems that I remember seeing somewhere on here where there was a recall on the Rio pumps, because of this.

Had a Rio, bought it used, put it in my sump the first time and white smoke started spewing out from the water. Needless to say removed it and bought a non-rio.

Ended up with a Mag 9.5

I have small rio that came with my sea clone skimmer, I don't use the skimmer any more but still use the pump. It was dry for a year and basically was just yanked out of the tank. I will say that it is hit and miss whether or not it will work. Some times I have to tap it on the tank to get it started.

Back