RO buddie?

CrazyEyes

Does anyone have any experience with this thing? I got rid of my RO unit for space saving reasons but I am already sick of buying RO/DI water. My only concern is it's ability to remove chlorine or chloramine, I know faois sells great carbon blocks that if maintained will remove it, my concern is that, I don't think these take a standard size carbon block. Any input will be appreciated.

Well I never heard of this till your post. Looking at the setup a few things come to mind. The carbon filter are not cartridge type, and you would propably want to add a di resin stage. But all in all it seems like it would do the job. Personally I would just stay with the standard stuff, it simply works. Why try to make a better mousetrap when you probably don't need too.
My 2cents

Yeah they make a 3 stage and a 4 stage, I'd definitely go with the 4 stage because of the DI. And as I said, only reason I'm considering this unit is because of space reasons.

No, they don't accept the same type of cartridges. The smaller filters on those units will need even more frequent exchanges than your typical 10" cartridge. With our local water supplies, to maintain a less than 1 TDS ( sorry no such thing as 0 ) you'd need to monitor and service often.

I have an RO buddie 50 gpd with D/I. I bought it when i restarted my tank last september. I pull 10 gallons R/O a week - I haven't changed my membrane yet and I still get 0 TDS on a cheapo amazon handheld TDS meter. FWIW my tap water in port charlotte was 317 TDS by the same meter. I haven't checked the tap water in largo.

I also plumbed in a catalytic carbon cartridge from AQUA FX - i put it in after the sediment and RO buddy carbon block before the membrane. I plan on changing everything inc D/I resin here soon, it's changed color almost halfway up now. hope this helps.

4 stage ro/di really doesn't take up that much room IMO. Not sure the minor space savings over a regular unit would be worth it. When I lived in a condo I used to just bring it out every couple weeks and make water then store it (with water) when done.

Back