Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 5 stage

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 6 stage

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

abpanda

Hello Tampa reefers.

I'm in the process of collecting equipment for my first saltwater build and shopping for an RO/DI at the moment.

My question to all of you Tampa/WCFL reefers out there is in regard to the importance of chloramine filtration.

Can I be successful with a 4 stage vs 5 stage system? How many of you out there have been successful long term with 4 vs 5 stage?

I'm looking at a couple of different units from Spectrapure and BRS. Namely the 5 stage units at the moment.

Thanks

Hello Tampa reefers.

I'm in the process of collecting equipment for my first saltwater build and shopping for an RO/DI at the moment.

My question to all of you Tampa/WCFL reefers out there is in regard to the importance of chloramine filtration. I've read about the addition of chloramines to our water supply, and I want to avoid it's affects on my tank if any.

Can I be successful with a 4 stage vs 5 stage system? How many of you out there have been successful long term with 4 or 5 stage?

I'm looking at a couple of different units from Spectrapure and BRS. Namely the 5 stage units at the moment. Any advice/feedback will be helpful.

Thanks

Yes - I think mostly all of Tampa / Pinellas has Chloramines in their water.

I simply run two high quality carbon blocks to deal with Chloramines / Chlorine. You want to shoot for the lowest micron rating in a carbon block. Quality matters as well - but that's harder to determine. Coconut carbon versus Coal carbon or other more appropiate sources of carbon. A good rule of thumb I always use is you get what you pay for.

There's alot of marketing hype around ro/di systems and carbon filters and chloramines. you'll hear words like activated carbon and chloramine blocks.

In almost all instances, normal (high quality) carbon blocks can be used to deal with chlorine / chloramine.

I personally run a spectrapure UHE100. It's very expensive but it has everything I need to make my life super easy (Auto-flush, booster pump, switches for low water and high water, water saver). I added an additonal stage for the sediment filter (w/ pressure gauges on both sides) and replaced the UHE's sediment filter with an extra carbon block. So I run:
0.2 Micron (Absolute) ZetaZorb® Sediment Filter Cartridge 10-inch
2x 0.5 Micron Carbon Block Filter 10-inch
90 GPD Membrane running at 99.8% efficiency
SilicaBuster DI Cartridge - Non-Indicating SuperDI 10-inch
MaxCap® DI Cartridge - SuperDI 10-inch

Yes - I think mostly all of Tampa / Pinellas has Chloramines in their water.

I simply run two high quality carbon blocks to deal with Chloramines/Chlorine.... A good rule of thumb I always use is you get what you pay for.

Hi Ted. Thanks for your feedback. I read another post where you posted a picture of your setup. :eek:

Unfortunately, and I hear what you are saying with regard to "you get what you pay for", my current budget will not allow a similar setup.

That being said, I've been eyeballing the following Spectrapure and BRS setups,
http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/Chloramine-Removal-90-GPD-RO-DI-System

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-stage-75gpd-plus-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

I guess I'm having a hard time cutting through all the verbiage to determine exactly what I need to get started.

I was using a 4 stage and ended up adding a 2 cannister DI. I run one chlorimine carbon block, and one normal one. As soon as I see one tds coming out of my first DI canister I move my second canister into spot 1, then refill the canister and place it into spot 2.

So I use a 8 stage DIY system. Its overkill but I also have 6 reef tanks so I go through a lot of water and the water at my home is crap. Lots of iron. 2 sediment filters. 5 micron and .5 micron. "Going to look into these .2 filters Ted C is using". carbon block. chloramine block. Pre pump. 2 100gpd ro membranes from BRS. 2 DI canisters which I rotate.
I have to replace my first sed filter every 100g because it turns bright orange. I have cut the orange filter in half and its orange all the way through.

I am not sure what help it is to buy an expensive system. IMO a cheap system with very good filters works as good as an expensive one. As long as your making 0 TDS water I don't think it matters. Then again I could be wrong.

So I use a 8 stage DIY system....2 sediment filters. 5 micron and .5 micron....

I am not sure what help it is to buy an expensive system. IMO a cheap system with very good filters works as good as an expensive one. As long as your making 0 TDS water I don't think it matters. Then again I could be wrong.

So this brings up something I've been trying to understand. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it the sediment "pre-filters" that are filtering most of the chloramine?

As for the second part about buying the cheaper system, but replacing with good internals/filters, this is what I'm considering doing now. All in all each system appears to be constructed the same with each seller touting their filters and performance. Though I do realize some sellers provide all the necessary fittings, etc that others would not.

The internet seems to agree that Spectrapure makes a pretty good product and they provide good customer service. Though a little more web searching last night led me to another company who's prices were very competitive.

https://www.liquagen.com/product/6-...sisdeionization-water-filtration-system-rodi/

That being said their filters may be crap. At the moment I'm suffering from information overload.

no - you're right Sirrealism. It all depends on what you want your RODI to do for you. A simple in-expensive system can have the same end-result as mine.

Several features I have help me though: adjustable pressure pump to maintain constant pressure on the membrane (helps in efficiency). Autoflush helps in maintaining membrane life. Solenoids and switches so I dont have to watch or time when my containers are full.

Didn't mention that my system also has adjustable pressure pump, auto shut off and auto flush. I bought it used as I do with most of my equipment. It was a 4 stage but I added the other 3 stages. All though I do need to get a new pressure pump as mine makes some crazy noises. My water pressure is pretty good 57. so I don't run the pump but I would rather have 70+ If anyone has a good pump for sale let me know. Hate to spend 150 for a new one

Back