Ro/di units... some better than others?

nathan1986

The one thing that holds me back and effects my tanks negatively sometimes is when i cant get some ro/di water when i need it. The time has come that i need to get a ro/di system and set up an efficient water holding station. Ive been looking at the BRS ro/di units and the spectrapure (spelled wrong sorry) units. My question is what should i be looking for? How many stages do i need? Is all di resin the same? Are some filters better than others? Another thing is it doesnt have to produce alot of water daily as im only going thru 10-15 gallons a week, BUT when i upgrade my tank to a 150 or 180 ill be needing more water weekely. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has any water storage ideas thatd be great. Thanks in advance, nathan

I can offer this... Both brands you mentioned are fine. Minimum 4 stage and 75 gallons per day. Auto shut off. (Sediment, carbon, RO, DI) Always flush each filter seperately upon first use. Add a RO flush valve to waste water to flush the brine, etc. left within the membrane. Add a DI bypass to flush TDS creep before it hits the resin.

As far as storage containers go... Anything that will hold water. Can be an ugly cheap brute garbage can or a fancy expensive poly container. At the end of the day, it just needs to hold water.

Last edited:
Ro/di units... some better than others?

It is to my understanding that as long as they are rated the same, it all goes down to how many chambers you have, and what you put in the chambers. Personally, I prefer Dr. g's because his ro units are made for floridas water. Our water is exceptionally dirty and hard. It has an abundance of nutrients and other garbage that most places do not have. His units are specifically designed for our water and not only that, but his filters are as well. His cartridges and chambers were designed by marine chemists, such as himself. Another good thing is that dr g is local. He has lived here and studied here for a very long time, so he definitely knows what's required and necessary. If I were you, I'd find an LFS that sells his products.

I went between brs and spectrapure before I purchased mine. I ended up going with the 4 stage brs value plus. I liked the flush and the inline tds meter. I have mine hooked up to discard the "bad" water to my washer so none of the water is truly wasted. I've got a float valve hooked to a 55 gal drum on a stand. It's not a bad little set up. I'll be happy to take a picture if you're looking for inspiration lol. But I'm very happy with my choice. Spectrapure also has refurbished ones as well for considerably cheaper if price is an issue. I use to have to buy water and you will enjoy your tank so much more with not having to haul water around.

Just installed the BRS Basic 75gpd RO/DI unit. I hooked it to my washers cold water line with it discharging into my washer and a 20 Gallon tub. I have been looking for water storage units and they are not pricy, but shipping is. It pretty much doubles the price so I'll stick with the tub till I find one local.
I am very happy with the unit. It came well packed and fully assembled. Took less then 5 minutes to install. I ran it for an hour and now have perfect RO/DI water for my system.

I give it 5/5 stars for sure. Well so far.

Cheers
Tom

Go with the bars universal for chloramines. This will have a dual stage for carbon. This my recommendation. I would also go with a dual di. Contact time and pressure from your water source r the 2 biggest factors. If u have 2 carbon and 2 di then u double the contact time. For me double the safety of quality water. When u upgrade tanks u can add a booster pump and a second membrain that will more then double your water production.

Spectra pure is top of the line water filters. But all company's make low and high end products. u get what u pay for in life.

I use the BRS 6 stage unit with booster pump and extra membrain. You don't need that much but I do recommend the BRS 6 stage universal kit I think is what they call it now. Piece of mind for me anyways. Comes with flow calculator that tells you when to change your filters. I love that bonus feature.

Roger

I have a 7 stage BRS system, although you may not need that level of production for your current system. I've had this BRS system for years and the only thing I've had to replace other than the filters and membranes was the pressure gauge.

Im going to save for the brs universal like roger suggested. Looks like its everything you could need all in 1. I tried looking up a nice storage tank. I found some really nice looking ones for around $100 (55 gallon) and the plastic is labeled in 5 gallon increments but shipping is $195!!!! Does anyone know of any places selling similar water storage container locally? I know i brute can would do just fine. I just want something that looks nicer is all

They have what im looking for. They dont list prices so ill have to call them tomorrow. Usually when something doesnt have a listed price and i have to ask then i cant afford it LOL

Several people locally have used them, I think the prices are pretty reasonable (well for this hobby anyway).

His prices are inline with what you see on the net, minus the shipping. It's a one man show, Glenn, and the price of polyethylene (made from petroleum and natural gas) can fluctuate so I would guess this would require a lot of time updating pricing and therefore it's just not listed.

I read that if you call somewhere that installs water softeners you can sometimes get a used brine tank dirt cheap - The mention I saw was a 55G horizontal polyethylene tank for $10.

Back