RO membrane fried in 8 months

It does - that should be a pretty decent reading.

Some things to think about:
Are you missing one of the rubber gaskets on either end of your carbon block?
Do you have what looks like a faint black line running radially around the white filter cloth on your carbon block?
Is your membrane fully seated?
Do you have an internal crack in your RO membrane housing - in the sidewall of the cup into which the membrane seats?

What you're seeing in not caused by feeding softened water to the RO.

Russ

No cracks in housing, membrane was seated fully, both carbon blocks had o-rings but they all had a slimy greenish gunk on them so I cleaned them and reinstalled. Maybe a faint line around my middle carbon block but not immediately apartment.

My pressure at the membrane is 57-58 psi, and I've ran the RO for about 10 min straight and tds started at 20 and is now falling, currently at 9

input water was 150 ish and no, the RO system is in my utility room in the basement, large room lit by 4 LED bulbs.

So with your RO water at 9 ppm, and feedwater at 150 ppm, your membrane has a 94% rejection rate. Maybe the TDS of your RO water has continued to drop and is now actually below 9 ppm?

You're running the system at a 2:1. or a 33% recovery. If you allowed for more waste water (aim for a 4:1) the TDS or your RO water would go down.

Russ

Change your flow restrictor. If you're not clear what that is, or where to find it on your system, please give us a call when you are in front of the system and we'll lead you to it.

It's a small little $4 part.

I did change it from a 100 gpd size to 75 when I changed membranes. Should I add the 100 restrictor inline with my 75?

Too many posts - please call in when you are in front of the system and we'll get it resolved in 2 minutes!
Russ
513-312-2343

We have horrible water quality here. I just thought my membrane life was due to that. I probably got 2,000 gallons before replacing filters and membranes. What lifespan should a RODI get?

Big thanks to Russ @ Buckeye Hydro for getting my problem solved. Flow restrictor was too small. I'll be ordering a new one from them today.

We have horrible water quality here. I just thought my membrane life was due to that. I probably got 2,000 gallons before replacing filters and membranes. What lifespan should a RODI get?

DI water TDS over 1 IS NOT an indication that your sediment, carbon, and RO membrane need to be changed.

Here's a cut/paste from our FAQ's that may be helpful:
A good rule of thumb is to replace your sediment filter and carbon block after six months. A more precise way to maximize the usable life of these two filters is to use a pressure gauge to identify when pressure reaching the membrane starts to decline. This is your indication one or more of the prefilters (all the filters that touch the water before it reaches the RO membrane) is beginning to clog.

Also be cognizant of the chlorine capacity of the carbon block. A good 0.5 micron carbon block for example will remove much of the chlorine from 20,000 gallons of tap water presented at 1 gpm. Some original equipment suppliers commonly provide carbon cartridges rated at 2,000 to 6,000 gallons. Remember that all the water you process, both waste water and purified water, goes through the carbon block.

Regarding your RO membrane and DI resin, use your total dissolved solids (TDS) meter to measure, record, and track the TDS (expressed in parts per million [ppm]) in three places: 1) tap water, 2) after the RO but before the DI, and 3) after the DI.

The TDS in your tap water will likely range from about 50 ppm to upwards of 1000 ppm. Common readings are 100 to 400 ppm. So for sake of discussion, let's say your tap water reads 400 ppm. That means that for every million parts of water, you have 400 parts of dissolved solids. How do we go about getting that TDS reading down to somewhere near zero?

If you do some experimenting with your TDS meter, you'll note that your sediment filter and carbon block do very little to remove dissolved solids. So with your tap water at 400 ppm, you can measure the water at the "œin" port on your RO membrane housing and you'll see it is still approximately 400 ppm.

The RO membrane is really the workhorse of the system. It removes most of the TDS, some membranes to a greater extent than others. For instance, 100 gpd Filmtec membranes have a rejection rate of 96% (i.e., they reject 96% of the dissolved solids in the feed water). So the purified water coming from your 100 gpd membrane would be about 16 ppm (a 96% reduction). Filmtec 75 gpd (and below) membranes produce purified water (a.k.a. "œpermeate") more slowly, but have a higher rejection rate (96 to 99%). The lifespan of an RO membrane is dependent upon how much water you run through it, and how "œdirty" the water is. Membranes can function well for a year, two years, or more. To test the membrane, measure the TDS in the water coming into the membrane, and in the purified water (permeate) produced by the membrane. Compare that to the membrane's advertised rejection rate, and to the same reading you recorded when the membrane was new. Membranes also commonly produce purified water more slowly as their function declines.

After the RO membrane, water will flow to your DI housing. DI resin in good condition will reduce the TDS in the RO water down to 0 or 1 ppm. When the DI output starts creeping up from 0 or 1 ppm, your resin needs to be replaced. Sometimes you'll hear people complain that their DI resin didn't last very long. Often the culprit is a malfunctioning RO membrane sending the DI resin high TDS water. This will exhaust the resin quicker than would otherwise have been the case. Sometimes the problem is poor quality resin "“ remember that all resins are not created equal.

Additionally, don't forget to sanitize the entire system at least once per year, and wash and lube your housing o-rings with food-grade silicone grease every filter change.

I'd be willing to bet this is my problem;

Problems with Chloramines and Higher pH

Problem

The pH of municipal water has been recently increased in some areas in anticipation of the newly proposed lead regulations. In instances when pH has exceeded 9, and the water contained chloramines, a decreased rejection of solutes by polyamide thin film composite membranes has been observed.

It is thought that the high pH causes chloramines to dissociate into ammonium and hypo chlorite ions. The ammonium ions, which are poorly removed by activated carbon, interact with the polyamide membranes, causing their rejection characteristics to deteriorate. The decrease in rejection can generally be reversed by lowering the pH of water supply.

NOTE: Most larger municipal water systems are now using chloramines to treat water (versus free chlorine). This dramatically reduces membrane performance (and lifetime).

Solution

At pH higher than 9, chloramines must be completely removed from water to eliminate the potential damage of RO membranes. The damage can be caused by dissociation of chloramines into ammonia and chlorine. Chloramines can be removed completely by proper sizing of the activated carbon system at 1.35 cubic Ft. per minute of flow rate (this gives required empty bed contact time of 10 minutes).

The effect is more pronounced when the water sits stagnant on the membrane surface. A permeate flush is recommended to prevent any membrane damage.

My input ph is often around 9 and I'm 99.9 sure my muni uses chloromines to sanitize. If my carbon blocks weren't chloromine specific or had bad rejection after a few days use I'm sure my membrane is probably toast and needs replaced.

Back