ro whole house water shut off issue

goulding.c

Hello, Been a while sinc eI have been on, but thanks to all that help everyone out on this forum.

Lats year we had a whole house water chlorinating system put in. (We are well water)

I thought I had it all planned out right for the installer. They ploumbed the Ro side of the sytem into a 30gallon pressrue tank, to feed our ice maker, and drionking water faucet , and Ball valalves to manually fill the garbage can for water changes, well the pressure switch they put in works fine, it shuts off the booster pump once the 30 gallon pressure tank is full. BUT, the water supply to ro unit is still charged, so when the presure gauge is off, I am still bypassing water through all filters on the ro unit and just sending it to exit drain???
Any ideas on a switch to add to the 1/4" lines? I am hoping I can splice wires into the pressure swich wires that trigger the pump, so when the pressure drops, both pressure switch open and the water supply open. Thank You!

Have you looked on the websites of the home improvemnt stores in your area to see if they have electrically controlled cutoff valves? Cutoff valves for sprinkler ssytems might work if rated for the correct water pressure.

The auto shut off valve on the RO unit is made to rectify that. Usually done by a float valve in the product water container.
The unit will still be charged but all water is shut off.

Hello, Been a while sinc eI have been on, but thanks to all that help everyone out on this forum.

Lats year we had a whole house water chlorinating system put in. (We are well water)

I thought I had it all planned out right for the installer. They ploumbed the Ro side of the sytem into a 30gallon pressrue tank, to feed our ice maker, and drionking water faucet , and Ball valalves to manually fill the garbage can for water changes, well the pressure switch they put in works fine, it shuts off the booster pump once the 30 gallon pressure tank is full. BUT, the water supply to ro unit is still charged, so when the presure gauge is off, I am still bypassing water through all filters on the ro unit and just sending it to exit drain???
Any ideas on a switch to add to the 1/4" lines? I am hoping I can splice wires into the pressure swich wires that trigger the pump, so when the pressure drops, both pressure switch open and the water supply open. Thank You!

I use a normal sprinkler solenoid on the source side of my RO units. They do require pressure to work properly so it would need to be in the source side not the output of the unit. You can get fittings to get them to the 1/4" quick fittings from the 1/2" pvc. Lowes sells a 24v wall transformer that when powered will open it. I have mine on Apex outlets so mine turn on and off via float switches on my holding tanks. Has been like that for almost 20 years no problems. There should be no reason you couldnt activate it off the pressure switch if you wire it correctly.

If you have a reason that you need to keep the unit charged, they make float switches that will shut off the output and the drain line mechanically. I have never had an issue with mine not being charged but I also dont use mine for drinking water.

Last edited:
Back