**Rob's 155g SPS Reef**

Hey Dan. Like I said, I've always topped my stands with ply. I thought foam was a no-no unless you have a rimless tank?

I'd go for the plywood just to make sure it sat flat all the way around. You could sand or plane it at the joints too though. You just don't want gaps filled with settling once water is added, it's just stress added to the joints. Since it's not sitting on the glass no styrofoam.

So...I went and checked out the tank yesterday...did not think to take a picture.

Working on the stand. Man, I forgot how much I hate this part, sealing, staining, ugh.

I need to fill a some holes, and put another coat of kilz on to seal it. Next weekend we'll skin it, and stain it.

We're getting a stain to match our kitchen cabinets. Cool thing I did not know...Sherwin Williams will stain match. Just take in the cabinet you are trying to match, and a piece of the wood that you are staining, and give them a day or two, and they'll give you a stain that matches. Cool. So the pine stand will match the maple cabinets.

I decided to go with pine. I am a little nervous, but since were going with a lighter stain, I think it will come out looking okay.

Then the tile guy will be her on Monday 08/25. Once the tile is done, then the stand goes in, and I will (finally) be ready for the tank.

Can't wait.

Rob,
I am currently building a DSA 155 as well if u care to check it out. It's on HRRC (Hampton Roads Reef Club)- Forums- Aquarium Showcase- Glenns DSA 155 build. I am following yours with great interest. Thanks for posting.

Glenn

Hey guys,
Been battling a bit of a cold, but trying to push forward on the stand. Haven't been as motivated to take pics as I work.

Okay so, cold meds and power tools, probably not a good combo. I didn't lop anything off thankfully, but I did have a few brain-farts (is that hyphenated?), and there were a few wayward cuts.

I paniced a bit yesterday as I was sanding the ply down. Proclaimed to my wife that I was just going to paint it black!

Woke up this morning, and researched staining pine. I figured the stain was custom, so there was no taking it back anyway. Worst case, it looks like poo and we paint it black.

Turned out pretty good. Our furniture is a mix of knotty alder and rustic pine, and the color is in the neighborhood.

And just to make it fit a little better, I created some worm holes, and some distress.

I'll get some pictures up today. The stand/ canopy is basically done. I need to do one last poly coat on the canopy, and do the entire interior in appliance epoxy.

The doors, and canopy have a much different color to them than the stand. Not sure what happened with the staining, but I did everything exactly the same. Both look great separately, but together...I going to roll with it. It doesn't look bad...it's the kind of thing that most people probable wont even notice.

Anybody know what screws are included with the Hydra52s? I need some that are about 2" longer to mount the lights in the canopy.

Here's what the canopy will be looking like.

Finally done with this stuff. Should have the tank soon enough, then things will get interesting.

The eagle has landed!

Huge thanks to Justin from Fishy Biz for delivering the tank to my side of town, and thanks for helping to muscling the tank onto the stand.

Still need to put the finishing touches on the stand.
Build the sump.
Plumb the tank.
Wire everything.
Leak test it.
Move it into the house fill it up, and get things rocking on this tank.

Nothing but spending lots of time (and money). :D

Sweet! Looks awesome. When you are ready to upgrade again let me know. Try not to put any scratches on it. Thanks.

Ha!
Sure thing Wade. Once I am done with this tank I can send it your way...to be added to your super secret stash of tanks that are never to be heard from again. :eek:

Haha yea about that, should be transferring everything over pretty soon... Making steps forward on it, small steps but still forward steps.

Haha yea about that, should be transferring everything over pretty soon... Making steps forward on it, small steps but still forward steps.

I know...I look at what I have to do to get the tank setup and cycling...whew, a lot left to do.

Back