Rose Bubble Tip stuck in rock?

atp0726

I recently bought a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone for my Maroon Clown. When I place the anemone in the tank I tried to place him half way up one of the live rock islands I have in the tank. Due to the strong flow in the tank and the Maroon clown immediately trying to host the anemone as soon as I pulled my hand out of the tank, the anemone got pushed back in to the center of the live rock island (large pile of aprox 75-100lbs of rock). The next morning I coudnt even see the anemone and with a flashlight I could see the anemone looked to be upside and completely opened up.

My question is will the anemone be able to find his way out of the rock? Will they intuitively move towards the light and be able to squeeze through a small area if they have to? This particular live rock tower took quite a while to construct and I am fairly proud how it turned out so I would hate to have to tear it apart to get to this anemone. Is there anyway to get him out without having to move the rock?

My parameters:
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
Nitrate-10
PH-8.2
Temp-77.7
lighting-Aquaticlife T5 6 bulb

Thanks for your time!

Dont worry buddy anemone's move around constantly untill they find a place they like. This will not be the first time you loose it. It will be fine, If you bought the anemone recently last the past few days, turn down your power heads till it gets it's foot planted. For real, I had one go into a maxijet, it wasnt pretty.

100_1504.jpg

Oh, and the most important part dont freak out when it shrinks for a few days or balls up. Or you will pull your hair out thinking its dieing.

Last edited:
dont even waste your time trying to put it where YOU want it. you may get lucky and it decide to stay in the general area of the tank you want, but dont hold your breath. a nem will go where it wants to go but luckily it will normally stay there unless something drastically changes like a new powerhead or lighting. it may play peek-a-boo as well sometimes but dont worry since that is normal. a small container like a strawberry basket will help protect a new nem from an overloving clown. give it a few days to get acclimated and then remove the basket.

Dont worry buddy anemone's move around constantly untill they find a place they like. This will not be the first time you loose it. It will be fine, If you bought the anemone recently last the past few days, turn down your power heads till it gets it's foot planted. For real, I had one go into a maxijet, it wasnt pretty.

100_1504.jpg

Oh, and the most important part dont freak out when it shrinks for a few days or balls up. Or you will pull your hair out thinking its dieing.

yea for my birthday my friend gave me the most BEAUTIFUL BLOOD RED rose anemone u could ever possibly see... a day later it was in my maxijet n the tank was cloudy n i had to drain half the water out n put new water in.. i was quite ****ed.. n on top of that alot of my corals either bleached out or died... so yes i would agree with him if ur gonna put in a BTA since they r the most mobile suckers in the world lol

Thanks for the help everyone!

So, the anemone really hasn't move from inside the rock structure. He has moved near an opening he could easily fit through however, never makes it out to the light. The last few days it has not opened up and never fully extends and has his tentacles pulled into his body cavity. Is this normal acclimation behavior for this type of anemone? I fed him a piece of scallop a few days ago which he ate.

One theory I have is my Maroon clown is practically pestering him to death. If I can catch the Maroon I am going to move him to my quarantine and see if that helps (If I can catch him).

I would leave everything alone. Give it time (possibly weeks) before you decide to start making changes. The more changes you make the more stress your going to put on the things in your tank.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to just leave things alone anyway. I fed the fish some chopped squid last night and the Maroon Clown grabbed a big piece and ran it into the rocks to try and help his new buddy out. Haha, the good news is eventhough the nem is balled up he is feeling good enough to eat at least.

We'll, tonight he is really balled up with tentacles barely protruding. In the center he has a a white (bleached patch) the size of a dime that I have not noticed until tonight. He has not been in the light since purchase on Sat. Since then he has eaten at least twice; maybe more because the Maroon clown feeds him whenever he captures one of the meaty meals fed to the carnivores in the tank.

Do I just need to be more patient or is their some systemic issue with my display I may need to look into?

Back