Royal Dotty Back or Royal Gramma

gauthig

How do you tell the difference of a Royal Dotty and Royal Gramma. Two different species with different temperments.

I think I bought a Royal Gramma, but want to be sure before adding anymore fish.

Wrong. The Royal Dotty is probably the meanest small fish you can put in your tank.

Easy to tell the difference between the 2. The Royal Dotty is more streamlined and the pink and yellow colours are separated by a line rather than fade into each other like the Gramma. The Gramma also has way bigger fins.

p-72472-pseudochromis.jpg

p-72316-basslet.jpg

a gramma will be more agressive to new fish

I have never had any aggression problems with R. Gramma's. This is my second and he is a model citizen. If other fish get 2 close for comfort he will flare his gills, but that's it (doesn't chase or nip) Plus both my RG's were very hardy:)

Good luck

I have never had any aggression problems with R. Gramma's. This is my second and he is a model citizen. If other fish get 2 close for comfort he will flare his gills, but that's it (doesn't chase or nip) Plus both my RG's were very hardy:)

Good luck

I forgot 2 add that both my Royal Gramma's were the first fish I introduced to my main tank and thus they had plenty of time to establish themselves, but stayed peaceful:wave:

As above the easiest way is the fading between the two colours but they also have the black spot on the dorsal.

Totally different temperments. Grammas are pretty peaceful, unless they are cramped in small quarters with other grammas.
Royal (Bicolor) Dottybacks (Pictochromis) are hands down, the worst of the small dottybacks. They can be real terrors!

Matthew
I assume the OP knew this & wanted to know how to seperate the two species. Aside from what's been said, Dotty's have a slight dent in their eye that makes them look mean & aggressive..

I love gramma's, almost always great personality.
I'll never get a dotyback ever again, agree, super mean for a small fish.

Back