Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

kelp47 check out Aquatic Warehouse they are in Kearney Mesa San Diego they are a LFS but have carried the Alpha line skimmers so they may have parts.

I've had to replace my RD in my Alpha 200 with the Laguna 1350 and it worked great for the first couple of weeks until I had to turn it off to clean the tank.

For the past few weeks I have had serious overflow issues. So much so I had to reduce the depth by 4" or more. I also get a ton of micro bubbles out of the output. At this level I can get a really wet ski mate but it fills up fast as if all of a sudden it wants to overflow about once a day.

I've got the air inlet wide open. What could be the issue. I've taken it out and cleaned a few times. Maybe the gasket on the inside of the pump needs replacing? I can't think of anything else.

Any help is appreciated.

I need replacement impeller for vertex alpha 200 skimmer

I need replacement impeller for vertex alpha 200 skimmer

Hello.

I am Korean. (south)
I have vertex alpha 200 skimmer.

but I was cleaning my pump today. when I slipped the impeller and broke off some of the pins.

I need replacement impeller for my skimmer (vertex alpha 200)

The motor block label is

"Red Dragon"
"BK Vertex 1500"
"Special-pump for vertex alpha 200"

Please let me know that where can I buy the impeller.

thanks....

Prodhhan, the maker of the pump referred me to Aquarium Specialty first, and AquaCave as an alternative. But I found better prices at Premium Aquatics. So you might check out these three.

I'm from Singapore. Have an impeller from a mini red dragon 1200 after my motor block died. Had since use the 2015 reef Octo dc 5500 skimmer pump.
If u think

Last edited:
I removed the impeller from my mini 1200 red dragon pump. If your pump can use it then I dun mind giving away foc. But pls dun sell at eBay later.
If anyone needs it just pay for postage from Singapore.
Just paying it forward.

Last edited:
I've had to replace my RD in my Alpha 200 with the Laguna 1350 and it worked great for the first couple of weeks until I had to turn it off to clean the tank.

For the past few weeks I have had serious overflow issues. So much so I had to reduce the depth by 4" or more. I also get a ton of micro bubbles out of the output. At this level I can get a really wet ski mate but it fills up fast as if all of a sudden it wants to overflow about once a day.

I've got the air inlet wide open. What could be the issue. I've taken it out and cleaned a few times. Maybe the gasket on the inside of the pump needs replacing? I can't think of anything else.

Any help is appreciated.

I gad the same issue when i replaced the original pump with a laguna 1350.

Worked too good for the first few weeks. After that it was never consistent. i increased the water height in the sump to 10" with the wedge 90% closed and i get a decent foam head.

Now in order to get the skimmer working after i shut it down to feed i have to restrict the flow for a quick second on the intake. If i don't it will not get a good foam head and it pulls about 3 amps according to my apex. Restrict the flow and it the amp draw goes down to .5

Any suggestions?

The Askoll 1350 block spins at a lower speed than the 1500. The end result is that there likely is less vacuum on the venturi side which results in higher flow. I would try opening the volute up more which will increase the amount of air into the skimmer while decreasing the amount of water. The downside is that the air bubbles will be larger which could impact the quality of the foam head.

The Askoll 1350 block spins at a lower speed than the 1500. The end result is that there likely is less vacuum on the venturi side which results in higher flow. I would try opening the volute up more which will increase the amount of air into the skimmer while decreasing the amount of water. The downside is that the air bubbles will be larger which could impact the quality of the foam head.

Unfortunately this is one of he first Alpha 200's built. It did not come with the adjustable volute.

Forgot to mention that I shipped the pump to Proline Aquatics and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Unfortunately as I mentioned above, there is an RPM difference between the 1350 block and the 1500 block. You can always order the correct block from Royal Exclusiv USA. I was there last week and I am pretty certain I saw them on the shelf. I can double check if you would like. Just PM me your email address and I will send an email off to verify and CC you on it. Worst case, you could always sell that 1350 block here on the forum.

One last thought. Since your skimmer is the older version that didn't include the adjustable volute, it should have come with two different length red inserts that go into the volute. If you have the 2nd volute, you could always try switching them out and see if that helps.

One last thought. Since your skimmer is the older version that didn't include the adjustable volute, it should have come with two different length red inserts that go into the volute. If you have the 2nd volute, you could always try switching them out and see if that helps.

Yes. That second red insert was for users that had the surging problem if I remember correctly. A lot of Alpha 170 owners had that problem but a few of the 200's as well.

I gave that a try and it actually causes the skimmer to surge.

How can I tell if my skimmer/pump is pumping effectively?

It may seem like an odd question but the other day I was doing some work in my sump and I noticed the skimmer just doesn't seem to be pushing out as much water as I would think it should. I placed my hand by the pump intake and it seems to not have the suction I would expect. It seems to be skimming the same as always and is still drawing 50volts (DC skimmer).

Not sure if there is really a problem and just want a way to check....

How can I tell if my skimmer/pump is pumping effectively?

It may seem like an odd question but the other day I was doing some work in my sump and I noticed the skimmer just doesn't seem to be pushing out as much water as I would think it should. I placed my hand by the pump intake and it seems to not have the suction I would expect. It seems to be skimming the same as always and is still drawing 50volts (DC skimmer).

Not sure if there is really a problem and just want a way to check....
If it doesn't seem to be flowing like you would expect, remove the pump, dissasemble it completely, soak all the parts and the block in vinegar, clean the venturi and eliminate any salt creep, rinse it well and put it back together. These motors don't usually slow down unless they are obstructed or dirty/calcified inside. When the pumps go out, they usually die and just quit.

What skimmer to get

What skimmer to get

Hi guys-
I am setting up a mixed reef tank 30X30X18 and a 27x27x18 sump/refugium. I want a royal exclusiz skimmer and return pump. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what models I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for the help :fun2::dance:

Back