Salt mix

What's everyone using?

How long does old dry salt stay good?
After experimenting with multiple different brands of salt I now use whatever's cheapest lol, I've really not been able to tell much difference other than how often I have to clean my brute trash cans. Currently it's a mixture of Coralife salt which I was able to get from LiveAquaria for $21 a 200 gallon box free shipping and LiveAquaria salt which I got for around $30 a 220 gallon box with free shipping. If you can keep moisture out of it salt will last year's. If you get a little bit of moisture like a hole in the bag or something then you might find that it mixes up with a bunch of little flakes of calcium carbonate in it which can still be used but it'll have a lower alkalinity and calcium then it should have if that ever happens to me I just use it for quarantine tanks and whatnot were those levels don't matter.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I've used Fritz for a couple years now. Just like any other salt mix, I would suggest testing before water changes. I have had a box that mixed at 5.45 alk.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I've used Fritz for a couple years now. Just like any other salt mix, I would suggest testing before water changes. I have had a box that mixed at 5.45 alk.

Totally agree to test! I have used Red Sea Coral Pro salt for the last 5 years with great results. I don't test Alk every time but I do test it on occasion especially when I open a new bucket.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I always used to test after mixing overnight.I used coral life in the past. Main reason was cost. I always had to add baked baking soda to raise kh.

So Fritz is good?

Back