Salt Mixes

I don't know that we will ever go back to something that takes up to 24 hours to mix...

Wow, I don't know which salt this is, but 24 hours of mixing would be a deal killer for me as well.

I personally see nothing wrong with good old IO. Imo salt brand is really low down on my list of worries.

Someone obviously needs to come to my house and teach me how to not get junk when I buy things at full price.

Wow, I don't know which salt this is, but 24 hours of mixing would be a deal killer for me as well.

I personally see nothing wrong with good old IO. Imo salt brand is really low down on my list of worries.

+1 reef crystals over here and mine mixes perfect and no residue at all.

Working in the pass at a LFS we mixed a lot of water using IO, mixed it a;; the time and the containers over time discolored , leaving a brown tint. I think most salts will if you constantly have mixed water in them. I am using salinity now and always get a write film.

I personally have no experience with ESV, simply because I find it to be too expensive for my personal application.

Keep in mind I am running a 350 gallon water column so to afford ESV I would requirer the means to purchase it wholesale.

Yes, ESV probably is the "cat's tuchus" for salt. It should be for as much as you would pay for it.

Personally, I simply buy Instant Ocean Purple 200 Gallon Box for $33 free shipping to the house. Tax Free.

The last couple of boxes at 1.026
CA 420
KH 10
MG 1360

Which is surprising.

Since I am 2 part dosing anyway, I buy CA, KA & MG in dry powder form in bulk from Bulk Reef Supply. If I need to boost up the salt mix, I added directly to my batch.

Yes, there is some residue from time to time in my 55 brute mixing container. However it mixes clear. Has never let me down.

We all have our own way of managing this hobby.

I will comment, that if I was running a smaller system <75 I may possibly consider using ESV if I could find it at the right price. It would be cool to know you are using what other's claim to be the best choice. It has a certain snob appeal. (no offense intended to those of the fan base)

However I have developed a working system that many others have developed confidence in.

If you can manage to implement ESV into your system, I support you and I am somewhat envious.

My motto for the last 8 years running: Keep your costs low - Keep it simple!

I use reef crystals ... waters always clear but it always leaves a dust like film of the barrel once empty and dry ... always wondered what it was

It has a certain snob appeal. (no offense intended to those of the fan base)

:rolleyes: So can we get past the semi-covert insults and negatively or are we going to play the game until the mods move in.

The original poster made a statement and posed a legitimate question.

Problem is, it's not clean. After a while it builds up a dirty grey residue on the bottom of the barrel. Reef crystals used to do the same thing. Eventually clogging up my water lines and always having to blow them put.

A question which was being answered civilly by those who had experience with various products, then the negativity started. Like it or not, the normal experience with Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals and Red Sea brands is a residue/participate of varying amounts left behind. The normal experience of those who use ESV is no residue/participate formed. Can occasionally a batch of salt fall outside of the norm? Absolutely BUT that isn't the norm now is it. Although unpopular to do, a quick search of RC alone can confirm or deny previous statements. Just because personal experience falls outside of the norm or you feel a product is not worth the expense doesn't excuse initiating an uncivil exchange. The unneeded attacks, yes that is what they are, doesn't further the discussion and sure the heck doesn't answer the OP question. Where is the reasoned debate? Are the participants of this forum incapable of such behavior? How about keeping it really simple "Um....ESV bad...it too expensive"???

BUT, if we are going to play the game be creative.

Smellfungus, cockalorum, ninnyhammer, mimpsinus, guttersnipe are but a few of the vainglorious and pretentious words the English language affords to us. At least, make the insults interesting. :love1:

Last edited:
Lol and that is why it should be against the law to drink and visit internet forums. Its ok John I don't take offense to you thinking I am an idiot. :) No amount of verbal you are wrongs can make me unsee and unfeel what was actually there. I promise it wasn't a dream. ;-)
Lots of smileys and winks and an lol to let everyone know I am not mad.

I believe you had an issue my friend. Just think there is a better way to dialogue than negative attacks and backhanded insults.

Personally, I have only used Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals and once Red Sea. In all honesty, I have either not paid attention to the residue(more than likely), have been lucky enough not to get any or may be doing something wrong, which has inadvertently saved me from the problem.

Regardless, I am always willing to try new things and I have read very good reviews from others here in the forum about ESV. I may try this one next time I go to buy salt.

I'll bet the fish nazi has dome some back handing in his day!!! :fun2:

You know I have but always in response. I refuse to let the lowest common denominator be the driving force behind the hobby/pursuit I've spent most of my life learning and advancing.

I don't recall insulting you but I drink too so maybe I let something slip out. I came and spoke the truth about my experience. If thats negative you will enjoy Hillary as your next president but I think a mirror is in order here. I personally think you acting like I am lying about it is the biggest insult in this thread. Enjoy because I am officially out. Enjoy your salt.

I've seen the same residue on the inside of my Brute on an occasion when I mixed Red Sea Coral Pro ahead of time. Asked about it on a forum, because it made me nervous, and was told it's pretty normal if you let RSCP sit a while in a bucket, and that their directions indicate you should pour the water into your system within four hours or so of mixing. (shrug) I wound up brushing the stuff off the inside of the barrel and pouring it into the tank. Probably organics or some similar? Seems to have done no harm, and I've got to assume that it precipitates onto the liverock or _somewhere_ inside the tank, anyway . . . At least until some organism or other pulls it from the water column.

~Bruce

I think the conclusion I have come too from this thread is all of the mixes leave some type of residue. Some if not mixed properly. On that note thanks for all the input guys and time to kill this thread as not to pour salt on any old or open wounds. Lol!!! Pun Intended:)

No intentions to offend, simply stating that I can not afford ESV. If I could I would probably try it.

Our forum is about sharing ideas that will work as an alternative to make this hobby more affordable.

I wish everyone good success in this belated new year.

No intentions to offend, simply stating that I can not afford ESV. If I could I would probably try it.

Our forum is about sharing ideas that will work as an alternative to make this hobby more affordable.

I wish everyone good success in this belated new year.

Back at you bud!:cool:

Back