Salt- who's got a deal and an opinion?

dudemeister

As discussed at the meeting, I'd be interested in buying salt in bulk. I go through a fair amount of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I guess my question is twofold:

1- The going rate for Instant Ocean (regular) is roughly 40 bucks a box and the Reef Crystals 50 bucks a box delivered from Amazon. Anyone know of a better deal?

2- I never measured it but is it actually worth the extra 10 bucks per box for the crystals?

thx

So Reef Crystals does have a higher amount of calcium, Alk. But I figure if you're dosing it helps to stay consistent. Doing a water change would throw off your dosing....

I know that Jason Fox and WWC uses plain Instant Ocean and then dose what they need for their systems... Not that what they use is the secret to success... Just that you don't need any special salt.

I use Brightwell Salt but I rarely do water changes. I've used that salt from the beginning and haven't changed because I didn't want to fix anything that wasn't broken...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salt- who's got a deal and an opinion?

I would like to look into possibly doing a group buy for salt. Just need to get a consensus on what salt everyone wants...

So let's a vote here, everyone sound off like you got a pair!!

Reef Crystals SIR!

That should be a Sir sandwich, Mike!! Now drop and give me 20!!!

Sorry... I reverted back to the glory days there for a second.

So it seems like Reef Crystals is what is wanted/needed so far...

Anyone else have an opinion??

Although my tank is not currently setup. When I had my last tank 30 some years ago, I used Instant Ocean. In preparation for my new build I've picked up some IO, so I probably will stick with IO for now.

I used many of the premium priced salts. Now I use IO. Guess what, tank's never looked better. IMO if you dose, it's easy to maintain target levels regardless of where you start. Just my 2 cents.

So TCR in Stratford said they would honor a group buy and give us better pricing than Amazon!! Please PM for info.

So TCR said it's cool to post the details. They said they would do $37 a box for regular IO as they have a large amount in stock. Please let them know you are part of ARKSC to get the deal.

I would prefer Reef Crystals but can switch it up since I dose anyway. Is this the kind of thing we just go there and they will honor the price?

Thanks Mase!

PS- I wonder if they carry Rod's Food?

That is correct. Just walk in and they will honor the price for ARKSC members

Back