Saltmix Parameters bring on the test results

Started my new tank with Fritz RPM after hearing some good things on here. Just tested alk and it came back at 10 via Red Sea Titration.

Disappointed since I was hoping it to be 8-8.5 or less. I'll double check with Salifert when I get a new kit, but probably will switch to TMPR after the box is done.

Last edited:
Started my new tank with Fritz RPM after hearing some good things on here. Just tested alk and it came back at 10 via Red Sea Titration.

Disappointed since I was hoping it to be 8-8.5 or less. I'll double check with Salifert when I get a new kit, but probably will switch to TMPR after the box is done.
This is becoming very common with Fritz. Their parameters are all over the place.

The parameters in our salt products give people trouble in various ways. There are some lower-alkalinity products, and it's possible to reduce the alkalinity in a salt mix by dosing a mineral acid. Also, backing off on the alkalinity supplementation after a water change will keep the alkalinity from rising.[/QUOTE]

Just retired from active duty and getting back into this great hobby. Can you give me a link or maybe elaborate on the mineral acid dosing? Reason I ask this is that my 5 year old put a soap bar in my sump. So I started to do large water changes witch spiked my alk from 8.3 or so to near 11. Killed a couple of montis. Do you recommend mineral acid dosing when you have to alter alk with large water changes in emergency situations? Sorry don't want to deter from the main topic.

Alex

Dosing water for changes with a mineral acid is fine if you watch the pH and aerate the water sufficiently before adding it to the tank. The pH should bounce back up fairly quickly, but if you are making large water changes, I think it's worth making sure that the pH is acceptable when the change is done.

Switched to a new box of Fritz RPM, and my alk is now testing at 6.1! It used to be spot on 8.3. I'll be switching back to IO.

Salt products seem to go through bad batches. Have you tried mixing up the dry salt? Sometimes, they settle badly during shipment.

Salt products seem to go through bad batches. Have you tried mixing up the dry salt? Sometimes, they settle badly during shipment.

That's my plan when I mix up my next batch of water. I just discovered the alk issue Monday. I only test once every month or two since my parameters have always been spot on.

If not, well, that's the whole reason why I had supplements to dose despite my perfect parameters. Always be prepared in this hobby!

Only salt mixes I liked and mixed up consistantly during the time I used them are TMPR, HW Marine and Reefer, DDH2ocean and Coralife. I used all these as well IO, RC, Kent, RSCP, Red Sea Marine, Brightwells NeoMarine, Oceanic, and all had one type of iusse or another that I did not like. Well Oceanic was ok just always too much cal.

I've been having problems with my salt mix recently, so came back to this super useful thread.

If the OP has the latest version of the data as an excel or .csv file, that would be a very useful resource, I would certainly like to download.

Also, for salts that have multiple readings, I think it would be good to list the mean and std for the Alk/Ca/Mg parameters. I'm beginning to think that the salt with the lowest standard deviation in results is likely to be better in the long run than the particular values of the parameters themselves. Happy to add these columns if the data is available.

-droog

Brand: Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Temp: 78 (glass thermometer)
SG: 1.026 (35 ppt refractometer)

Alk: 15 dkh (tested 3 times with Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit)
Ca: 440 ppm (Red Sea Calcium Pro Test Kit)
Mag: 1240 ppm (Red Sea Magnesium Pro Test Kit)

IO Reef Crystals mixed with RO/DI and circulated for 24 hours. :bigeyes:
That Alk!! Have you cross referenced your test kit to ensure it is accurate?

Back