sand shifter

okieman98

in my 125 what can i get to sift the sand in the tank. i will be upgrading to a 180 hopefully soon. this tanks is still young but i am getting some brown on top of the sand bed

thanks

There are alot of gobys that sift the sand some star fish. I know there are more just slipping my mind at the moment. Hopefully someone else can chime in on what they have in their tank. One of the speakers we had awhile back suggested not keeping these type of animals in your tank do to they eat all the small infauna that live in your sand bed and these are actually more important to the life of your tank.

Goby

Goby

I have had a "Diamond Watchman" sand-sifting goby in my tanks for over two years. He has doubled in size and is one of our favorite fish. He makes a mess while he first arranges the sand the way he likes it, but the mess settles down after a few days. He does keep the sandbed free of diatoms, cyano and other issues. Just nice and white, the way we want it. He keeps the sandbed well-oxygenated.

Others to look at would be the orange spotted goby, sometimes called orange marked or orange line goby.

LL

The sand-sifting gobies definitely work well.

I like my sand a bit less sifted, as my LR structures aren't the sturdiest, so I use a sand-sifting starfish and some nassarius snails. Good luck!

I use Nass snails and conch snails in my smaller tanks, but if I had large tank (55g+) I'd use the diamond goby George mentioned. They create a pretty wicked sand storm in smaller tanks, but do a damned good job moving stuff around.

Re: Goby

Re: Goby

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15503023#post15503023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lightsluvr
I have had a "Diamond Watchman" sand-sifting goby in my tanks for over two years. He has doubled in size and is one of our favorite fish. He makes a mess while he first arranges the sand the way he likes it, but the mess settles down after a few days. He does keep the sandbed free of diatoms, cyano and other issues. Just nice and white, the way we want it. He keeps the sandbed well-oxygenated.

Others to look at would be the orange spotted goby, sometimes called orange marked or orange line goby.

LL

I miss our diamond watchman. He used to go up and perch just out of the water on the return main... one day we found him shriveled up behind the tank.

Back