Sand sifting Star

topfeeder

In Memoriam
Put in a sand sifting star yesterday and today one leg fell off and another looks like it will soon. There is nothing in the tank that could do damage like that, that quick. Any ideas? Thanks

It sounds like the star was acclimated poorly somewhere between the ocean and your tank. These animals are extremely sensitive to changes in salinity and if they're no acclimated properly at any of the 4 or 5 stops between the ocean and your tank they suffer severe osmotic damage. This is how it manifests itself. Assuming the star was in good shape beforehand, it would regenerate the legs. This star is clearly not in good shape though and will most likely die within the next few days. It's really unfortunate, because these animals really have no business being collected in the hobby to begin with. They are detrimental to the tanks they're supposed to be helping and they are voracious predators that usually eat themselves out of house and then slowly digest themselves from the inside out over the course of a year or two.

greenbean36191, You say, "It sounds like the star was acclimated poorly somewhere between the ocean and your tank." That may be correct but I know it took me over 3 hrs. to acclimate this guy, seemed perfect when I got him. Within 5 hrs. I knew he was too far gone so I took him out and into the freezer to make it as easy as I could on him. Thanks for the feedback. I will not get another because of what you say and also read that they climb on the glass and scratch it. Jack

Back