SC Aquariums 90 Gallon Cube (Parts/Livestock Plans)

Eznate

Hello Everyone,

In a few months I'm planning on upgrading from my 29 gallon tank to a SCA 90 gallon cube tank. I have estimated my parts list as well as a possible stock list and the associated costs. I'm looking for input on some better options or just some comments on the overall build and livestock.

Here is my plan:

Items: Costs:

SCA 90 Gallon Tank Package: $1500
90 Gallon Cube Tank
Three Chamber Glass Sump
SCA-302 180 Gallon Skimmer
PH2000 Skimmer Pump
PH2500 Return Pump
Filter Media
All Required Plumbing
Aquarium Stand

Phosban Reactor 150 $50
Kessil A160WE LED Light $10
Kessil A160WE LED Light $210
Kessil A Series Gooseneck Mount $42.5
Kessil A Series Gooseneck Mount $42.5
Kessil Spectral Controller $100
2 PCS 800 GPH Circulation Pump $13.50
2 PCS 800 GPH Circulation Pump $13.50
Hydor Smart Wave Controller $50

175 Gallon Red Sea Coral Pro Salt $75
Red Sea Reef Foundation Supplement ABC $25
Reef Fish Food $30
Red Sea Reef Foundation Test Kit $43

Stock List:

Orange Skunk Clown $25
Orange Spotted Goby $15
Carberryi Anthias $30
Carberryi Anthias $30
Carberryi Anthias $30
Coral Beauty Angel $25
Sixline Wrasse $20
Green Mandarin $18
Three Stripe Damsel $6
Kole Yellow Eye Tang $40
Ritteri Anemone $80
60 lbs Live Sand $60
45 lbs Live Rock $240
Various Coral Frags $250

This leaves the total cost to be around: $3,300

Nice! Welcome to the SCA club!
I also have there 90.

My thoughts:
Spend a Lil extra and get it drilled for external overflows. That options was not really available when I got mine.
Wish it was. 3' tank with the overflow in the middle makes aquascaping a pain.

Are you getting the wood stand?
I would suggest it. Or do a DIY not to hard.

I just got the tank alone and build the stand used a 40 br for sump and have a skimmer.

Not sure on the lighting but believe they should do the trick nicely. The spread is 2' yes??
Maybe others can chime in on that.

Fish:
The 6 line is a bad idea even more so with mandarin. Just don't do a 6 line. I know there supper cool fish and priced great. But the are mean and will eat all the pods for the Mandy.

Also rethink the damsel.
I say leave both out and get a wrasse.

The CB angel might eat some corals just a FYI. I have a flame in my tank so far its OK but I know that its a risk.

Where is LR coming from?

Great start so far I'll be following for sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Regarding stocking, I recommend against the tang, damsel and six-line wrasse. The damsel and wrasse are mean and the tang needs a longer footprint. Consider replacing those fish with flasher wrasses. Also, make sure you have an established fish before adding a mandarin

While SCA's skimmer is decent, their sump layout and return pump are garbage. I got their 80G PNP system and ended up cutting up the sump to meet my needs, and upgraded the pump.

The pump isn't that bad, its just large and loud. I use it for my mixing station now.

As far as your stock list goes, I agree with others. Skip the six line(they tend to get mean), The angel is a hit or miss on whether they will nip at corals, and the mandy would be ok, but only after the tank has been up for a while and the pod population is up to snuff. The tang I would probably skip too as they need a longer tank for the swimming room.

Thanks for the information. I looked up the flasher wrasse and that is a nice looking fish. I will get that one instead of the sixline wrasse. Any recommendations instead of the tang and damsel? Maybe a Banggai cardinalfish instead of the three stripe damsel? The reason I listed the tang is because I want a somewhat larger fish. The Kole Yellow Eye Tang is one of the smaller tang species. Is there another larger fish that would work?

Homer, what is wrong with the sump? I will have to go look at your thread for your build. My current set up has very loud return line which is what I am focusing on to avoid with this build. My set up makes a kind of gurgling sound. My primary goal is to make a silent system. I don't really mind a slight humming from the pumps, but I don't want a loud and distracting gurgling noise. Was noise a problem with the stock plumbing? I am going to try it, but I am open to redoing the plumbing. What did you use?

Devaji, I have been following your build. Your build is what made me go for the SCA 90 instead of a Red Sea Reefer 250. Thank you for your response. I will be purchasing the stand from SCA's plug and play system. The live rock is from ebay. I will probably end up going with something else that has more color. How much did you pay for the live rock that had your hidden royal gramma if you don't mind me asking?

I have listed 4 800 GPH circulation pumps from ebay. Total of 3200 GPH. Is this too little flow for a mixed sps/lps tank? I am trying to avoid buying a MP 40 due to the price, but if it is really recommended I could possible get it.

The sump layout is just weird, not a traditional layout by any means. You'll understand when it comes in.

It was pretty simple to redo with a razor blade and some aquarium silicone. Yeah have a look at the first couple pages on my build thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The return pump works and it will not "gurgle"(thats your plumbing and not the pump), it is just very large(requires quite a bit of water in the sump), and has a very distinct hum. My tank is in my living room, and that hum would drown out the TV.

While you more then likely have enough flow with those fleabay powerheads, if you would just spend a few bucks more and look at jebao pp-8's. You would only need 2 of them, and they are controllable like an mp40.

+1 on the jeabo PP8 thats what I have in my tank. well one anyway the other in setting next to it for some reason I have not added it. trying to get my scape "right" 1st

the LR I got form TBS was 40# I believe got 2 rocks and the gramma as a freebie.
$5 a pound + the 100 something for air shipping . it comes in water so its as live as you can get shipped. Richard is a nice guy too.

if you know anyone else in your area setting up a tank can could split the shipping that would save some cash.

for fish flashers are really cool fun fish. melanurus wrasse are beautiful too. they are listed as not reef save as the can eat your shrimp feather dusters.

as far as wrasses goes there is a great therad all about mixing and matching:
http://www.*********.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/

Back