SC Aquariums Owners Thread

I think you should be fine. I completely took apart the baffles, cut them and went with a different lay out. If you are just going to remove the one that separates the 1st compartment you should be fine.

Jump back to page 16 so you can get an idea of my sump.

Thanks boltline, I'm planning on removing the baffle this coming water change. It'll really free up so much space for my aquamaxx skimmer. I'm also planning to place one of my media reactors there as well.

On another note, anyone having any chaeto tumbling issues in their fuge? Mine don't seem to tumble and just dies off really slowly. May have to try a different fuge light. Planning on a Kessil 160 tuna blue so I can also maybe use it as a holding area for some frags and nems.

why not throw a small powerhead in there? I am planning on putting my RW4 in my refug of my trigger sump for my chateo.

why not throw a small powerhead in there? I am planning on putting my RW4 in my refug of my trigger sump for my chateo.

Waiting on two koralia nanos being shipped. I'll be placing them in the sump where flow is needed to prevent reef snow from setting [emoji1360]

Thoughts on my scape? Reefcleaners florida dry rock.

voLbGCol.jpg

^ like how the scape in in the yoga and meditation room, that is so me as well ;D

about to order my 90...only took me 3 days of back and forth.

couple questions for you SCA guys.
does anyone have the 75? 36x 24x20?

and after having you tank for a while what are your thoughts on the MDF stands?

Just received my 75 yesterday. Hopefully will get the stand put together today. Surprised at how huge the sump looks!

^ nice! man I was so tempted to get it but ended up getting the 90 just for more volume with the trade off of harder to reach the bottom..
plz keep us posted. did you get 3 holes?

glad you like the sump I almost went with one. but I have a 40br sump already made..

oh and just to clarify the 3 days of back and forth was not SC it was me trying to decide on what tank.

oh and just to clarify the 3 days of back and forth was not SC it was me trying to decide on what tank.

I went back and forth for months between SC, other brands, tank size, build stand myself or buy stand, ect. My poor wife has dealt with that all.

And when you get it, it continues...

Do I get new dosing containers, ato, lighting, canopy or no canopy, bean or herbie, dry/live rock, where to get rock from, livestock, ect. My wife will be ecstatic when this is fully up and running. Though at this point she just shakes her head and tells me to shut up and just order it. So a win win I guess.

haha what a woman! sound like you git a keeper :)
yeah I know who it all goes so many decisions and we all want to do it "right"

I thought i had my lighting all worked out then...ahhh no i better stick with my plan after one major reason I went with the 36" 90...

^ nice! man I was so tempted to get it but ended up getting the 90 just for more volume with the trade off of harder to reach the bottom..
plz keep us posted. did you get 3 holes?

Mine does have 3 holes. I emailed back and forth them as I wanted 3 drilled holes and had planned on the 66 for height reasons (wanted no taller than 20" tank and 32 inch stand so I could work in it ). They were out of the 66 so got the 75 (same dimensions except 4 inches wider). We almost bought a Red Sea Reefer, but I thought the sump was too small and thd height on the stand would have made it hard for me to work in (I am *almost* 5'5").

SCA was great to deal with and I was very impressed with the packaging detail. Steve wrote that they are doing 3 holes on all their tanks now. Having never plumbed a sump I do wish there were detailed instructions for that but the guys at my LFS said they could come out if I can't do it right. :uhoh3:

haha what a woman! sound like you git a keeper :)
yeah I know who it all goes so many decisions and we all want to do it "right"

I thought i had my lighting all worked out then...ahhh no i better stick with my plan after one major reason I went with the 36" 90...

I also track motorcycles so this is a cheap hobby compared to that. A single weekend at the track starts at around $500 and goes up into the thousands if anything breaks...

Mine does have 3 holes. I emailed back and forth them as I wanted 3 drilled holes and had planned on the 66 for height reasons (wanted no taller than 20" tank and 32 inch stand so I could work in it ). They were out of the 66 so got the 75 (same dimensions except 4 inches wider). We almost bought a Red Sea Reefer, but I thought the sump was too small and thd height on the stand would have made it hard for me to work in (I am *almost* 5'5").

SCA was great to deal with and I was very impressed with the packaging detail. Steve wrote that they are doing 3 holes on all their tanks now. Having never plumbed a sump I do wish there were detailed instructions for that but the guys at my LFS said they could come out if I can't do it right. :uhoh3:

There are a few of us with build threads in the tank journal portion of the site. We have pics of the plumjbing and such to walk you through it. Just ensure you dry fit everything first and mark everything so it goes back together the same way. And use gate valves on return and drain and unions just about everywhere. You will thank us later.

There are a few of us with build threads in the tank journal portion of the site. We have pics of the plumjbing and such to walk you through it. Just ensure you dry fit everything first and mark everything so it goes back together the same way. And use gate valves on return and drain and unions just about everywhere. You will thank us later.

Oh I will definitely check those out - thanks!

Had a setback - started putting the stand together and realized there was no way it was going to fit the 31+ inch wide sump. Started measuring the pieces and none were 36" (length of the tank) and there was no back. Steve at SCA was great when I called - they are sending out a new stand and we will ship this one back. Its a new size so I guess somewhere something got mixed up - the box said 36x24x31.5 stand, but shouldn't the top at least be 36" to sit on top on the sides and back?

I don't think it was mentioned yet, but I heard the new tanks with three holes are no longer metric.

That said I am still pretty happy with my 66gal. In some ways I think the 75 would have been better, but I have already had enough troubles getting my lights right, I don't need extra inches there, haha.

Anyone here who can help with a question about the stand? I thought it wasn't the right size - it appears it has been redsigned. Instead of resting on the bottom of the stand, the sides and back are attached to the outside of the bottom by 7 Ikea style metal connectors. The top would then rest on that back and sides. There is also an offset rail that has to be attached to the front from the bottom to the top rail, in between the doors, so the sump is "built into " the stand and access will be limited by the center upright.

I am estimating the weight of the tank, rock and water to be approximately 700 pounds - are 7 thin metal connectors going to be enough to hold that much weight?

Here is a pic of the back. Those 3 connectors screw into a plastic ring then into the 'wood' no more than .5 inch. Then they are inserted into the outside of the bottom, and a round Ikea connector is locked into them through holes in the bottom. The sides are attached in the same way but with only 2 connectors each.

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 0
Here are all the pieces and the pictorial that came in the box - they don't match at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20160123_110042806.jpg
    IMG_20160123_110042806.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160123_121211922.jpg
    IMG_20160123_121211922.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
These SCA tanks keep getting better and better, nice to have them drill it for you. I think I heard they do custom size tanks as well but it takes longer. A 72X24X20 would be a nice upgade for my living room.

Back