Schooling Bannerfish (Heniochus diphreutes)

NatureNerd

I am upgrading my tank to a 92g, 48" x 21" X 21". I am going to add another fish. Any thoughts on this Bannerfish? Is a 90g big enough? Are they really reef safe? How easy are they to keep? I am having a hard time finding much about them. Has anyone kept one in a reef before?

I have a pair of occ clowns, a firefish, a small Two Spot BT Tang, a pair of neon gobies, and a Tail Spot Blenny. My reef is mostly SPS, with a couple softies, an LTA, and a crocea clam.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

from what i've heard. They're easy to keep, i've seen them in 3 fish schools, i think the 90 will be fine. just keep em from aggressive tank mates that could tear up their banner

from what i've heard. They're easy to keep, i've seen them in 3 fish schools, i think the 90 will be fine. just keep em from aggressive tank mates that could tear up their banner

Thanks. Were the ones you have seen in reef tanks kept with SPS's, soft corals, and clams?

There are two very similar looking species, apparently one is more safe than the other. Someone will chime in with how to tell them apart, I have tried to do it in the past, its very difficult unless you are looking at one of each next to each other.

I know how to tell the similar species apart, I just don't know anyone who ever had this species. Websites and books say it is reefsafe but I was hoping someone had direct experience. It also seems a bit big for a 90. Live aquaria says it is fine in a 50g. Seems unlikely to me.

Your tank is too small. I had one in a 110g of ~the same dims. It grew faster than any fish I have ever kept, swam feverishly from one side of the tank to the other, and eventually managed to jump, even with eggcrate on the tank. I won't even get one for my 240g.

Your tank is too small. I had one in a 110g of ~the same dims. It grew faster than any fish I have ever kept, swam feverishly from one side of the tank to the other, and eventually managed to jump, even with eggcrate on the tank. I won't even get one for my 240g.

Thanks for that! I have that exact tank, was thinking of one myself. Won't do it now.

The growth was incredible. From the size of a quarter to 6" in less than a year. I've never seen anything like it (but I've also never owned a rabbitfish ;) ).

Thanks, I know not to completely trust Live Aquaria when it come to tank size recommendations. I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

One is reef safe, the other is not. Here's how you tell them apart. Look at the anal fin (this is the opposite corner of the fish from his eye). Look at where the black and white come together. If the black and white meet at the corner, its diphrates (reef safe). If the black and white meet higher up, its accuminitus. Accuminitus has a pointier snout too.

Mine does not seem to be growing too much, and is well behaved, but they can be jumpers, so you need to cover your tank.

Diphraetes:
diphraetes.jpg

Accuminitus
accuminitus.jpg

How big is your tank, how long have you had him, and does he swim erratically as described above? Is he truly reef safe?

Erratically is not the appropriate description. Mine just swam A LOT... compared to all the other butterflies in the tank. More like a tang than a butterfly, really.

Back