SCMAS Meeting Friday 9/18/2015 topic: Controlling Your Aquarium

gcarroll

When: Friday September 18th, 2015 @ 7:00 p.m.
Where: IHOP, 1001 E 17th St, Santa Ana CA 92701-2546

Topic: Controlling your aquarium
Guest speaker: Dave Botwin of Unique Corals

Dave will go over many of the cool things you can do with an aquarium controller and talk about how he has utilized them in his own tank as well as at Unique Corals.

Grand Prizes in drawing include:
The Precision Marine Kalkreactor KR620 donated by Marine Depot
http://www.marinedepot.com/Precisio...actors-Precision_Marine-PM4111-FICRKR-vi.html
And many other prizes"¦..

More meeting and raffle details can be found here.
http://www.officialscmas.org/events/

Join us on Facebook for up to date notifications.
https://www.facebook.com/officialscmas

Dave's talk will give you many great ideas for your Apex, with breakout connector you can add a few switches to trick out your tank. I want to set mine up to have 4 buttons on my display. 1 feeding button that will lower flow on everything for 10 minutes, 1 to make a storm and turn all my flow to max for 1 hour to stir up the tank, 1 to make my lights go full blue for 10 minutes, and one to make my display day light for 10 minutes. These last 2 are handy for showing your display when lights are off and you will not forget to turn them back off because it is auto. I had a friend who turned his lights on to do a couple things to tank when leaving for a week trip and left his lights on for the whole week. Fried most of his SPS and what Dave is coming to teach us would have not allowed this to happen. He will also show you how a.cable you can purchase for less than $5 can be used instead of Apex break out box so you can add these tricks for cheap. If you have an Apex you should not miss this meeting! If you do not have an Apex start saving and see more reasons why they are a awesome tool for your reef.

I'm looking forward to this since I have an Apex to control my new tank. I used an aquacontroller for years and I know the Apex is far more capable.

I'm looking forward to this since I have an Apex to control my new tank. I used an aquacontroller for years and I know the Apex is far more capable.

I am going to buy an Apex at some point (unless I suddenly turn in to MxReeFer and start winning every fri**ing raffle in the universe...)

Back in the day I had an AquaController. As near as I can tell, the Apex system fixes every short coming of the AquaController and adds a ton more capability.

Sigh....it's only $$$:sad2:

Dave's talk will give you many great ideas for your Apex, with breakout connector you can add a few switches to trick out your tank. I want to set mine up to have 4 buttons on my display. 1 feeding button that will lower flow on everything for 10 minutes, 1 to make a storm and turn all my flow to max for 1 hour to stir up the tank, 1 to make my lights go full blue for 10 minutes, and one to make my display day light for 10 minutes. These last 2 are handy for showing your display when lights are off and you will not forget to turn them back off because it is auto. I had a friend who turned his lights on to do a couple things to tank when leaving for a week trip and left his lights on for the whole week. Fried most of his SPS and what Dave is coming to teach us would have not allowed this to happen. He will also show you how a.cable you can purchase for less than $5 can be used instead of Apex break out box so you can add these tricks for cheap. If you have an Apex you should not miss this meeting! If you do not have an Apex start saving and see more reasons why they are a awesome tool for your reef.

Those all would be very nice to have. I have the feeding sequence set up, but I am looking forward to learning how to set up the other three. Should be another great meeting tomorrow!

How formal are the meetings?

I was going to try to come but I'd have to bring my 6 & 7 year old. lol

It really depends on how well behaved they are especially during the actual meeting and speakers. We have to be courteous to those who are there to learn as well. Talking and rustling around can be very distracting!Everyone's kids are different as yours could be complete angels.

How formal are the meetings?
I was going to try to come but I'd have to bring my 6 & 7 year old. lol

The meeting is at an IHOP! hahaha :facepalm: Sometimes people don't even wear shoes or shirts. jk jk Bring them you are all more than welcome. :wave:

Sweet. Sounds good.
Getting back into the hobby so I was going to sign up for SCMAS as well.

I'll be the guy in the back with no shirt and 2 little kids! lol

Sweet. Sounds good.
Getting back into the hobby so I was going to sign up for SCMAS as well.

I'll be the guy in the back with no shirt and 2 little kids! lol

Just my opinion here. I don't think I would bring my kids because it's a bit long, crowded and boring for them. The crowd is friendly and people wouldn't mind, I just don't think it would be fun for them.

Back