Scorpion Leaf Fish??

Sebea

I was told that these fish are very hardy, and can survive in small tanks. I want to be a little different, so I have been trying to research these little guys. Does anyone see a problem with having this fish in my 11" cube? Because the tank is so small, is it a given that I will get stung? Any input, or info. would be great!

I would suggest a 20-30 gallon minimal. They are quite hardy but are very limited as to any tankmates.

One of the largest problems is weaning them from live to prepared foods. The average aquarium diet for a leaf fish are gut loaded glass shrimp.

Ed

I don't plan on having any other tank mates. I realize that they have a picky diet. Do you think that they will take frozen shrimp?

Provided you can keep the water quality up to par, an 11" cube should be fine for a leaf fish. They don't move around a whole lot and grow no larger than 3", so they're quite comfortable even in very small tanks. Just make sure there's plenty of structure so it doesn't get bored.

The problem with leaf scorpions, though, is that they almost never eat dead food. I've heard some people claim to have trained theirs to eat frozen or dried shrimp, but I've never been able to despite many attempts. If you want to keep one, make sure you have a ready source for feeder shrimp.

Leaf scorpions are really easy to keep and adjust to tank life almost instantly. I've never had one that didn't eat (live food of course) and behave normally from the moment it was caught.

FYI, leaf fish aren't known to have venomous spines. I feel quite safe grabbing them with my bare hands.

Thanks for the reply Matt!

Are there any issues with having the leaf fish in a reef? I forgot to mention that my cube will have a large amount of sps, and some lps.

How should I prepare a ready source of feeder shrimp?

It's good to know that these fish arn't venoumous, I feel much safer now. :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6511110#post6511110 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sebea
Are there any issues with having the leaf fish in a reef? I forgot to mention that my cube will have a large amount of sps, and some lps.

Nope. Leaf fish are oblivious to everything except potential food animals.

How should I prepare a ready source of feeder shrimp?

Find a pet shop that sells 'em! Some people try breeding them, but it sounds like too much work for me.

Back