Scribble angel with some sort of internal bump.

I have had my 5" female scribbled angel for a year now and she has been healthy and happy the whole time, until now.

A week an a half ago I had an issue with my tank and had to get a new one due to a leak. I removed her and my juve. emperor angel. which are the only fish in the tank. Drained the water and pulled out the rock. I threw out the sand bed. I then placed the new tank, put the rock back, and refilled the tank with the "old water". I then added the 2 fish back. There basically ended up being a 25% water change.

For the next couple days both fish acted completely normal, eating like crazy as normal. Then one day the scribbled wouldn't take pellets, next day no mysis, next day no homemade "reef blend"(all sorts of stuff), and the next no angel formula. So now she won't eat anything or even try it(she was mouthing stuff before). Emperor continues to act normal and eat everything.

I did another 25% water change yesterday. Checked water parameters and everything is just fine. I was somewhat worried about ammonia because of the change and removal of the sandbed, but that's not the issue.

The Scribbled has always had a bump in her, which I thought was just her full stomach(it is mid body near the bottom and is visible on both sides, about the size of a marble) because I feed a ton, but it seems to be growing and without her eating for multiple days now the bump seems to look likes its growing. It might just be that she is getting skinnier and it is showing up more.

I just dosed Prazipro this morning, but am wondering if anyone has any insight to what the issue could be and how to fix it?

Thanks!

i have exactly the same situation with my powder blue tang. she has a bump around the stomach area that's common on both sides of the body. it looks like a stomach bulge and i tried anything and everything i could think of, but nothing ever helped. the fish eats like a pig and is not skinny, so i just gave up and let it be afterwards. hopefully someone with experience and knowledge of this could chime in.

I've had fish before with bumps in their stomach. I've always assumed it was an ulcer or tumor of some sort or possibly even the beginnings of swim bladder disease. In any case, it usually just gets worse over time and eventually proves fatal. :( If you think it could be swim bladder, try feeding a peeled boiled pea to relieve the bloating. I once performed surgery on a Queen Angel with an enormous something in her belly. She couldn't even swim anymore. Every day for a week I would hand feed her as she lay on the bottom of my tank. I know I should have euthanized her but it's hard to let go of a fish you've had for 10+ years. Unfortunately, surgery was unsuccessful. :(

Thanks b0bab0ey. I will try the pea method, which I have used before on goldfish with swim bladder disease when I kept freshwater fish.

I have not encountered swim bladder disease on saltwater fish yet, only on fancy goldfish when I used to keep them. Swim bladder disease is very difficult and sometimes impossible to treat. About a third of my fancy goldfish came down with swim bladder issues over time. Feeding peas and fasting helps for a few days, but once the diet returns to normal so does the disease. One eventually died as a result as it simply just floated on the surface and couldn't swim at all.

I hope we have better luck on our fish this time.

After looking some more on this issue, I thought I would post some observations.

All scribbled angel photos I see online have the bump I am referring to. Some seem to be more visible than others, but all seem to have it.

I am no longer sure that this bump is the reason I am having issues with mine.

I will try to post some photos that show it best from online later tonight.

Update:

I was having heater issues and the tank temperature had dropped to the low 70's. I put in a new heater and got the temperature back up to 78 or so and she is back to normal. Aggressively eating everything and swimming all over.

Back