SE or DE??

110galreef

Which way to go and why?

I will be getting new balasts & reflectors? Not sure if I should go DE or SE?

For this space really isn't a concern. in wall setup and have 35" above tank atleast.

Oh and are the 20k Radiums only available in SE?

Thanks,

Radiums are SE only.

I prefer DE Bulbs myself (Phoenix 14k). My evidence isn't at all scientific, I just like the look of the Phoenix 14k DE best.

I remember reading a thread about a year ago regarding the pros and cons of SE and DE. You may want to search for it. It was interesting. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember the conclusion was that SE was better.

Radiums are SE only.

I prefer DE Bulbs myself (Phoenix 14k). My evidence isn't at all scientific, I just like the look of the Phoenix 14k DE best.
I like the phoenix 14k as well. Not positive I will stay with those. But the do make them in SE now!

There are a few differences between SE and DE bulbs none of which are really that important. DE bulbs require an additional glass to shield UV which SE do not. With everything being the same, DE bulbs are likely to provide a little more PAR compare to a SE bulb due to the slightly larger arc / surface area for illumination. The PAR difference, however, is very small.

I prefer SE bulbs because of the wider bulb selections, more reflectors to choice from and ballast combo.

I like the SE bulbs for their selection and Radiums, but like the DE with the reflectors I use for better coverage. The SE socket takes up a huge chunk of real estate on the LumenMax 2s, it is noticeably darker on that edge.

Back