seagrass inhabitants

meow?

Hi,

I'm looking for info or first hand experience as to what fish (besides game fish) call seagrass beds in the gulf or Caribbean their permanent home.

Just for reference I'm trying to recreate a slice of this environment in a 30g. With the shoal and manatee grass I already have established. I'm currently looking for a poop source :lol2:

TIA

Hi,

I'm looking for info or first hand experience as to what fish (besides game fish) call seagrass beds in the gulf or Caribbean their permanent home.

Just for reference I'm trying to recreate a slice of this environment in a 30g. With the shoal and manatee grass I already have established. I'm currently looking for a poop source :lol2:

TIA

When I was a child I loved dragging dipnets and seine nets though seagrass beds and collecting what I caught. Shrimp (like the kind you eat), hermit crabs(Clibanarius vittatus), and Pipefish accounted for 95% of my catch.

The other 5% included all sorts of different stuff including seahorses, generic looking silver minnows, pinfish, transparent/white gobies & blennies, toadfish, decorator crabs, and halichoeres wrasses.

I appreciate the response. I'm rather looking for simplicity so, the pony"s and pipe's or more then I want to deal with. Although the gobies/blennies seem like a better match.

Tagging along. Only I have a 10g lol so ill be hoping for small inhabitants.

What about clown gobies?

Sent from Qbabys Tapatalk.

You should start a thread on this tank. I would be interested in doing one of these. If you don't want to deal with a fish you could just add some nutrients. These I don't think are natural but you could add a skunk shrimp. That would look cool against the green of the macroalgae. I would add a fish, but it would be neat to add a couple hermits. There are some that climb the algae and clean it as they go that you can order through the internet.

I'm really looking for this fishie Doratonotus megalepis. It's been a pain tryin to track one of these down. If anyone has any idea's or places where one could be found (vendor wise) let me know:thumbsup:

doratonotusmegalepis_zpsbc69476c.jpg

So many fish and invertebrates spend time in seagrass beds. Condy anemones, conchs of various sorts, nassarius snails, mantis shrimp, a bunch of Caribbean corals come to mind.

subscribed! id love to see a bristle tail filefish in a seagrass tank, although they are native to the indian ocean.

please post pics of your tank, as i am currently setting up a seagrass tank too!

thanks, martin

I'm really looking for this fishie Doratonotus megalepis. It's been a pain tryin to track one of these down.

I've spent a great deal of time trying to track down D. megalepis in the past year, as I'd like one for my Carib biotope aquarium. They are certainly are hard to come by! Due to their well camouflaged nature, they're lost amongst grass beds. Also, from what I understand, most collectors don't spend a ton of time on the grass beds since most of their money is made on the reefs. To complicate matters, they are visually similar to juveniles of a few other (larger growing) fish. So incorrect identifications can happen, as well.

Basically, there just isn't a demand for these fish, and as such, collectors aren't likely to spend much time and resources on them. I have a collector who is keeping an eye out for them when collecting in or near grass beds, but nothing so far.

I have a mottled filefish in my seagrass tank as well as a lantern basslet. I'm thinking of adding a small group of blue reef chromis.

I have some pacific species mixed in my tank as well so its not a biotope.

Fourline wrassse, GBTA, Ocellaris clowns, tridacnid clams, sarcophyton,

Back