Seahorse Flow and Safe powerhead.

triggerfreak

I am looking at setting up a 29 biocube as a seahorse tank for my wife.What are a couple seahorse safe powerheads.Or would the stock return pump be enough flow in the tank for them.Thanks!

i think the koralia nanos are safe i was going to use them for my 90g seahorse/pipefish tank but decided to have a sump so now all i use for circulation is the return pump haha. I would go with a nano

HTH.

Koralia's are not seahorse safe do to the fact that seahorses grab onto everything.
I use two of the power sweeps in my 20 gal. tall.
With the biocube you will need to modify it or have a chiller on it.
It gets way to warm for seahorses. THeir temp should be 72-74 degrees F.

why not just go with a koralia nano then?
IMO best thing = no powerheads, always use sump and return for flow :).

It is going to be a bio cube 29 gallon.No sump.And i was asking if i needed a powerhead or is the stock return enough flow for a seahorse tank.And if not what powerhead to use.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14178544#post14178544 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikeeee
why not just go with a koralia nano then?
IMO best thing = no powerheads, always use sump and return for flow :).

For the price of a Vortech you could prob get a bigger tank drilled w/ sump. Just saying :).

I still think Koralia Nano would be safe.

Your question...

Your question...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14178715#post14178715 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by triggerfreak
It is going to be a bio cube 29 gallon.No sump.And i was asking if i needed a powerhead or is the stock return enough flow for a seahorse tank.And if not what powerhead to use.

I kept seahorses in a 29G Bio-Cube. I put a Koralia nano powerhead in there, but decided it was too much flow, so I turned it off at night. I had no problems for almost a year. Then one night the return pump on the Bio-Cube failed right after lights out. I did not discover the failure until the next morning when the lights were scheduled to come back on.
Since the only flow I had at night was the retrun pump, the seahorses were in still water for nearly 12 hours. They essentially suffocated. Only one male survived (I still have him today in my 95G seahorse tank.)
So the answer to your question is - yes the nano powerhead will work; it may seem like too much flow in the small cube, but in the scheme of things, that extra flow could be a life saver.
Have you seen the return pump on a Bio-Cube? It's a P.O.C. I would never again trust the lives of my seahorses to that trashy pump.
Good luck with your venture. Do lots of water changes! Frequent feedings will result in lots of algae.

LL

One more thing...

One more thing...

A final note - seahorses need cooler water temps. It is generally not feasible to put a chiller on a Bio-Cube - the chiller would cost almost as much as the tank...Always leave the top open on the tank when the lights are on. You will want to have a short light cycle as the lights heat up the water. You must control your room temps to keep the water as cool as possible.

If all of this sounds like a lot of hassle; it is. That is why most seahorse savvy folks discourage use of a Bio-Cube for hippocampus.

LL

Nano hotter at night?

Nano hotter at night?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14304371#post14304371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by louie07
That's funny, my nano gets hotter at night!

Well, that's just special... and it defies common sense.

LL

my pump on the bc29 failed only after a couple of months, along with two ballasts. i switched the pump out with a maxi jet 1200 and upgraded the ballasts with no problems with either so far.

my pump on the bc29 failed only after a couple of months, along with two ballasts. i switched the pump out with a maxi jet 1200 and upgraded the ballasts with no problems with either so far. just for an fyi for you b/c these are both common problems with bio cubes.

I just want to add that Koralia PH now come with a little cap to put on the front. Otherwise the front is open. If you put the screen cap on the front, they are seahorse safe. I have two Koralia ones in my seahorse tank. My male hitches on one constantly, it's his favorite spot. The slits in the body of the Koralia are too small even for my juvie seahorses to get their tails in. I'm confident they're safe.

Back