Sealing a bulkhead

frbrd84

Trying to get my 125 rr tank going , the last issue I'm having is getting 1 drain bulkhead to stop seaping a drip , hand tightened with a small turn , cleaned both surfaces good before install any suggestions ? Thanks

Is the washer on the correct side of the bulk head? It has to be on the bulkhead side and not on the nut side, no matter which way the bulkhead is facing the washer can not be on the nut side. I've made this simple mistake before and it always leaves me with a drip. If it's on the correct side then I have never had a drip from any fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't use silicone grease and i do have it on the bulkhead side in the tank, only bad thing I should have made the opening a little bigger for easier access , is it better to use silicone on the gasket? if so what type ?

I've never used anything on bulkheads, no silicone and no grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically, dry bulkhead is best but if you have a leak still you can try silicone grease but in my experience it doesn't typically help.

I've always used a thin coating of silicone grease on my bulkhead gaskets, keeps them from binding when tightening. Never had one leak that way either.

Will give the silicone a try , have been adding water to check for leaks before I fill it up , the 2 returns and other drain seem to be ok , it's a125 mega flow tank , have been trying to finish this for the past month

Check the sealing surface of the bulkhead for mold flashing. Often there is a line of plastic from the molding process. Remove it with 400 grit wet sandpaper.

If using the silicone grease will prevent any future leaks , would probably be best of using it on all 4 bulkheads , where do you get that brand silicone from ? hardware stores ?

installed new gaskets on the bulkheads and added a thin layer of silicone to them poured water in each overflow and so far no leaks, reconnecting plumbing adding sand and ready to add water, Thanks for the advice

Back