Sedra 5000 replacement skimmer pump

laverda

Looking for recommendations. I have a moded ASM G4 that I want to replace the Sedra 5000 with somthing more efficient. I know its an older skimmer, however it works great and is the biggest skimmer I can find to git my sump. It pulls lots of thick scum, but the pump has failed again after replacing the impeller just 6 months ago.

Aquatrance or Bubble Blaster or QuietOne.... might run into an issue with matching up the fittings.....

posted using alternating currents.....

Thanks, I have no knowledge of the Aquatrance pumps. The seem to be reasonably priced. I will look into them. I was hoping someone has done this already and had a specific recommendation.

The skimmer is gravity feed with the pump airateing and recirculating the water. I am pretty creative at plumbing things up. I had a bubble blaster which I had half plumbed up only to realize it is not working now. :-( So I hooked up a Sicce 600 I had. Even though the skimmer is recirculating, I had to raise the output up a lot with the Sicce pump. While rated at about the same flow, and it is working, it is not pulling out what the Sedra did so far.

Last edited:
I have the same skimmer and in the same boat with a G3 with a Sedra 5000. I have seen a Tunze 9410 on a G3 body and it is a sweet pump, but, cost $150. I think I'm gonna try a aquatrance 2000 on mine and see what it does. ($70). The reef octopus pumps are super quiet and it appears this one would match the sedra but pull wayyy more air and do it with less watts. (18 compared to 50). May pull the trigger tonight. My sedra could wake the dead it's so noisy.

Here is something else to help you asm guys. Know those pesky red silicone o-rings that come with the skimmer that leak from the collection cup? They are 1/8" and have a 3.5"id. Order new one that are 3/16" thick with a 3.5"id and you are good to go. This is the top collection cup one on the G3. Lower one I siliconed so it would never leak again. Order them from The O-ring store. Problem solved.

Also this skimmer is 12 years old and has been a beast I might add.

I agree. They work very well and are not fussy about water level. Set it and let it run. It always used to produce thick past like skimmate.

My Sedra pumps have always been quite. The Sicce makes much more intake noise. I had to fix with a simple muffler.
I have had several ASM skimmers with Sedra pumps. The impeller s swell up every couple of years and need to be replaced. This time I can not even get the impeller out of the pump body and it was not that old.

Last edited:
I saw this somewhere else

7946c08b011be4f6c392dfefff5b9e6c.jpg

Not sure if it helps.....

posted using alternating currents.....

What did you end up with and how did it work out? I'm in the same boat, a G4 with a Sedra 5000 and after about the 5th impeller the pump is starting to fall apart.

For anyone who has done it I would appreciate knowing specific make/model of pump, how hard it was to hook up, and how well it performs.

I used a since PSK600 with needle wheel. I have my skimmer modified as a recirculating skimmer so it took a little more effort to adopt the inlet side. The output was pretty easy if I remember correctly. It has been running a year and a half trouble free. The 600 does not have as much power as the Serra did. I doing think it would handle skimming really wet. There just is not enough head pressure. I am happy with it. Although if the pump dies I may try a DC pump on it.

Thanks [MENTION=29637]laverda[/MENTION] for the input! What did you do for a venturi? Did Sedra's fit on the PSK 600?

There is also a PSK 1000 but from the specs (60w, 880 gph) it sounds way bigger than the Sedra (40w, 500gph).

I adapted the Sedra one to fit. I made an adplor out of a PVC fitting using a Dremel. I had to get a bit creative if I recall.
I had the 600 already so I figured I would try it. I think it pulls more air as the intake is noise, but less water then the Sedra pump. The Sicci is a lot smaller and less watts which is nice also. I don’t remember what the Sedra was rated at. Hard to know if the 10000 would be too much or not.

I'm an experienced PVC adapter myself!

I've decided against the Sicce due to some negative comments on this site and not wanting something with less power than the Sedra.

That narrows it down to a Bubble Blaster 3000, which sounds like a better pump than the Sedra 5000, or just getting a new Sedra. Price of a BB is $255. Price of a Sedra is $99. I'll go with the new Sedra and eat the $40 it costs me every year and a half for a new impeller.

Thanks for your help!

I have a GSM 2 and have replaced the Sedra 3500 2x times in 15yrs. I have been looking for an alternative but the Sedra's are so cheap, and 2x in 15yrs works for me.

I have a GSM 2 and have replaced the Sedra 3500 2x times in 15yrs. I have been looking for an alternative but the Sedra's are so cheap, and 2x in 15yrs works for me.
That is about how long mine have been lasting. I think I am at 3 in 22 years or so. At the time my last one went bad I was really tight on money, already had the PSK pump, plus the Sedra is a bit of a energy hog. I really try hard to keep my energy usage to a minimum. Spending a little more fo a more efficient pump is paid back quickly with Ca electrical high rates.

I'm an experienced PVC adapter myself!

I've decided against the Sicce due to some negative comments on this site and not wanting something with less power than the Sedra.

That narrows it down to a Bubble Blaster 3000, which sounds like a better pump than the Sedra 5000, or just getting a new Sedra. Price of a BB is $255. Price of a Sedra is $99. I'll go with the new Sedra and eat the $40 it costs me every year and a half for a new impeller.

Thanks for your help!
I had a bubble blaster 3000 as well, but when I got it out to see if I could make it work in was frozen solid. It work fine the last time I used it. I used to use it to pump water from my water containers in my truck to my storage containers when I used to do water changes. It moved a lot of water fast through a 30' 1" house and up 6'. For that reason I think the B.B. would be too strong. It was going to be a chalange to make it work for me due to its size.
The Scice may not have any less power, but sucks more air so it seams that way. I am happy with its performance and the pump has been trouble free so far. I probably should pull it and clean it as preventive maintenance.
The Sedra is a good pump and you know it works well with your skimmer.

Better than Sedra

Better than Sedra

I was tired of the damned noise the sedra always makes, especially once they are a year or two old, the impeller always starts to swell and it gets noisier and noisier. I was one ebay and came across the Marine Sources Red Devil DC-5000s skimmer pump. Its a DC pump with a controller but as far as lining up with the skimmer, it was perfect. The 3/4 sweep elbow that came with my Euro Reef fit EXACTLY into the new pump. I took off the union and just slipped the elbow in, instead of the elbow fitting onto a piece of 3/4 pipe as with the Sedra, the outer diameter of the elbow fit right into the output of the pump. As for the venture, the Devil is supplied with one but my venturi again fit into the intake just snug. so far Im happy, we will see how long this works for, how reliable but so far so good!!!!

Back