Seeking advice for first time build. 150 gallon tank

TURKLET0N

I am buying a tank that measures 72X18X28. It comes with a 300W Visi-Therm submersible heater, a supreme classic 1800 GPH model 18 pump and an ocean stream OS-1K circulation kit 1600 GPH. I am trying to get some advice on whether these are good to use and what else I need to buy and what brand of items as well. Thank you for helping me out.

Consider a different tank if you haven't already bought. Assuming you're building a reef tank, those dimensions are hard to work with. The depth makes maintenance/husbandry a pain, and the width hinders an aesthetic and functional aquascape. Plan out your aim and select the tank around that. A 120 is a much more versatile choice and despite the smaller volume, offers more functionality.

I'd have to agree with the above. I had plans for a 150 gallon upgrade but with dimensions of 60 x 24 x 24. Problem is, those dimensions are hard to find unless custom build which can get expensive. I have a brand new 120 gallon acrylic tank I will probably be utilizing.

210 is too large for me. I also don't want any scratches on a tank. I did ask for pictures a while ago but never got any either.

That's the exact dimensions of my tank. I would agree that the husbandry can be difficult, but I really like the height of the tank. It allows for a lot of vertical aquascape options. I also elected to go with a rock wall on the back, something you may want to consider.

As far as the equipment goes, I have a Danner AquaMax 18 (1800 gph) and I've got everything from softies to lps to sps to a clam in the tank. Everything has been doing well, but I do also have a circulator to move some water down low.

I say go for it. I built my own stand for it with no center brace so I have full access to my 55 long sump and gravity auto-topoff. I'd be more than happy to lend as much advise I can. Just PM me so I see the messages.

Your equipment is fine. Just know heaters are a weak point of all setups. They fail and when they do it can do in your entire system. Lots of smart people here can help u out with any questions but read a lot. Just keep reading and learning.

Unless you just really like the height you might consider a 180. Great tank .
I personally wouldn't want the 28inch height but some people go way higher. If its you go for it.

Couple things, others might not agree with me but I've always done it this way. I would never run one big heater, unless you're running it on a high quality heater controller or a full aquarium controller. As Roger said, heaters go bad, and having one big heater that can heat up the whole tank will be a really bad thing if that thing ever decides to stick on in the on position, 2-3 smaller heats is definitely the way to go, 3 when working will keep the tank at a stable temp but chances are all 3 wont go bad at once and it wont cook your tank. I'd also highly recommend looking at a different return pump, that pump uses alot of power.

Couple things, others might not agree with me but I've always done it this way. I would never run one big heater, unless you're running it on a high quality heater controller or a full aquarium controller. As Roger said, heaters go bad, and having one big heater that can heat up the whole tank will be a really bad thing if that thing ever decides to stick on in the on position, 2-3 smaller heats is definitely the way to go, 3 when working will keep the tank at a stable temp but chances are all 3 wont go bad at once and it wont cook your tank. I'd also highly recommend looking at a different return pump, that pump uses alot of power.

The advice regarding heaters is solid. The other option is to not run them. We live in Florida, and unless your house is really inefficiently insulated or you never run the heat, your tank is generally not going to get under 70*, which is not going to be harmful to any of your inhabitants.

The advice regarding heaters is solid. The other option is to not run them. We live in Florida, and unless your house is really inefficiently insulated or you never run the heat, your tank is generally not going to get under 70*, which is not going to be harmful to any of your inhabitants.

+1

I've never run a heater on my system and haven't had any issues. Wish I had a chiller when my AC went out, though...

Thank you for the information so far. Any advice on the sump, LED's, skimmer and a cheap way to obtain liverock?

Thank you for the information so far. Any advice on the sump, LED's, skimmer and a cheap way to obtain liverock?

Sump can be made really easy out of a small glass tank with baffles for cheep. Really just depends on budget. Lighting depends on what u want to keep in the tank? Corals, fish only? What type of corals?

Skimmer again depends on budget on what u will keep in the tank?

Live rock is cheapest to buy used on the forum or face book for around $1.50 a lbs.

Roger

I have a couple reefledlights p47 genesis 3 pro fixtures for sale. They would easily cover the 150. $600 cash for both.

Sump can be made really easy out of a small glass tank with baffles for cheep. Really just depends on budget. Lighting depends on what u want to keep in the tank? Corals, fish only? What type of corals?

Skimmer again depends on budget on what u will keep in the tank?

Live rock is cheapest to buy used on the forum or face book for around $1.50 a lbs.

Roger

I would like to get LED's since they don't create much heat, they are lower on electricity and I don't have to change the bulbs. Any recommendations on what brand or type of LED's for this size tank?

I want to do fish, soft corals and probably hard coral. My cousin is going to send me a bunch of Austrian, Fiji and some other coral for free when I get my tank running.

What size sump would be good? I have seen many for cheap but I'm not sure what size to get.

If they fit your budget I'd take Robthorn up on his offer, I've seen those lights in person and I can assure you there was no corners cut on those lights. And just as Snookster said, get the biggest sump your stand and bank account can handle.

Back