selective disaster to sps---via alkalinity.

interesting timing on this one... i just had 2 frags of the same colony RTN at about the same time. They are in a frag tank connected to my main tank... The only change that i detected was that i had decided to raise my alk slightly... from in the 7-8 range to the 8-9 range. I might have had a couple of spikes up pretty fast, but tried to do it slowly. I had pretty much written it up to the alk change, but now i'm wondering...

The other odd thing is i have other frags from the same colony (as well as the colony) in the same system... no problem...

this is an odd hobby sometimes...

k

THere's an interesting thread in Reef Chemistry which, with the help of Horace, et al, I'm trying to understand.
Can Kalk be used to fully supplement Ca and Alk? is the name of it. THere's discussion that there's an equilibration between ph, kalk, and coral demand which is pretty interesting. I do get it that one small topoff mistake with this method is way more hazardous than a buffer accident, but I've been running this rig long enough now I've got it choreographed much, much better.

SOmetimes, the crazy way the aculeus stays out and happy, and the others RTN, I feel like blaming it on gremlins. But most that I lost were blues, and the heavily browned green and red are the survivors. Maybe light DOES play a certain part in this complex problem: my new light is heavy in blues, visibly, and the corals that RTN under influence of [perhaps] high alk and high phosphate are...blues; but also the poci and stylophora, and the orange monti cap, but not the orange monti digi, at exactly the same distance from the light and in the same flow. Bizarre.

Back