Semi-Noob, Nitrate Q.

ghengis

Hi all. I've been an on and off lurker and occasional poster here for a bunch of years, but only recently pulled the trigger on my first reef. It is an in wall (corner mounted) 900x900x500mm tank built by myself. My "fish room" is actually a back corner of my garage with the requisite bench space, sink, fridge etc. The face of the tank opens onto the lounge/living space.

After about 13 months of construction, I finally filled my l'il glass box with water (Red Sea blue bucket) and added Arag Alive, and an NSA Marco Rock scape. In the sump I have a Mantis 120 Skimmer, BM Roller mat and CW Algae Scrubber. My salinity is steady at 1.025, with 0 Ammonia, 8.1pH, and around 8.6dKH. My nitrate is 25ppm. I'm not testing anything else just now (except Phos which is 0), as I have no livestock or coral as yet. I started the cycle using the Reef mature kit from Red Sea, but am now dosing NoPoX and Seachem Seed.

The great big elephant in the room here is...how are my nitrates so high??? My RO water tests at 0 nitrate, so I can only assume the issue is with the Arag Alive...has anyone had this ssue before? Any other ideas on where this has come from...? At this stage, current plan is to give it another week to see if there is any change at all, and maybe do a 20% water change...

Cheers.

How long ago did you fill the tank?

25 days, according to my Aquatic Log diary.

I went from 2ppm the day after filling, to 10, and then 25 within 4 days. It's held steady at that value, neither up nor down, since...

Negative, aside from the Arag Alive sand. I'm assuming it is still "alive" as I've had nothing but donuts on my Ammonia readings since day one.

I'll mention also, lights are not turned on yet. Once I get the NO3 coming down, I'll think about an acclimation setting and bring those up steadily.

Negative, aside from the Arag Alive sand. I'm assuming it is still "alive" as I've had nothing but donuts on my Ammonia readings since day one.

I'll mention also, lights are not turned on yet. Once I get the NO3 coming down, I'll think about an acclimation setting and bring those up steadily.

Sound like a good plan.

Have you added any ammonia to see if the system is processing it?

Is the algae scrubber producing a lot of algae?

Sound like a good plan. Are you going to use algae, water changes or another method of nutrient export?

I have a ClearWater Scrubber, which is on in an attempt to bring levels down, though no build up just yet. Once I have everything under control (or more like my head around it all) I'll bring small daily AWC into play.

Is this a case of just keep waiting it out, or am I missing something that others have experienced??

I have a ClearWater Scrubber, which is on in an attempt to bring levels down, though no build up just yet. Once I have everything under control (or more like my head around it all) I'll bring small daily AWC into play.

Is this a case of just keep waiting it out, or am I missing something that others have experienced??

Sorry Adam. I edited my reply after re-reading your first post.

I would want to know if the system is processing ammonia. Ultimately, your nitrate export will be removal of algae from your scrubber and water changes.

Sorry Adam. I edited my reply after re-reading your first post.

Lol. All good.

I have a couple of adjustments/changes to make to the setup that require a lower water level, so once I have all the bits in hand, I'll do a WC at the same time. Will continue to monitor fro there....

Lol. All good.

I have a couple of adjustments/changes to make to the setup that require a lower water level, so once I have all the bits in hand, I'll do a WC at the same time. Will continue to monitor fro there....

Keep us updated and let's see ? some photos. Best of luck.

I'd love to see some photos ?

I don't have any recent sand-and-water FTS, so the will have to do.

Cheers for the replies, btw ?

Attachments

• photo411567.jpg
    photo411567.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Not really much for grandstanding, but I'll look at posting something up, once I have a minute.

Cheers.

Not grandstanding at all. People learn a lot from seeing what others have done. You have a very well designed and beautiful setup. Best of luck ?

Back