Semi-urgent tank chipped

farfromsea

My brother just brought the used tank I bought from someone else and chipped it pretty hard en route. Saddled here alone now with a husband who has a bad back and can't help me lift this thing. 45 gallon tall pretty heavy.

How bad does it look? I have fish sitting here in bags on the floor and I am trying to figure out if I should fill the tank in the living room or if a leak test is in order but that will have to wait until tomorrow if I can find help
06e27eaf9c5214fe5efcdf9c03667dfe.jpg

The inside feels solid but I'm scared of the pressure of the water ruining my house (and marriage lol!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Semi-urgent tank chipped

Ugh that was my fear. We got it outside miraculously for a 24 leak test

Even if it holds water for 24 hours, that doesn't mean it will hold long term. I hate to say. Maybe some better pictures but that looks to be into the silicone type of damage.

What a nightmare! Is there a duration of time that would ensure it is leakproof? I will post in the AM again with pictures since it is sitting outside in the dark. The inner silicon seemed unscathed but now that it is full it feels indented which scares me. Hoping they have 45 gallon tanks at the $1 sale this December I guess or perhaps replacing one side is a good idea?

Used tank freshwater not reef. Was just setup until my brother drove up to take it away. Was supposed to be plug and play until disaster struck when he slammed on his brakes while transporting it :-/

What a nightmare! Is there a duration of time that would ensure it is leakproof? I will post in the AM again with pictures since it is sitting outside in the dark. The inner silicon seemed unscathed but now that it is full it feels indented which scares me. Hoping they have 45 gallon tanks at the $1 sale this December I guess or perhaps replacing one side is a good idea?

They don't have 45 gallon tanks. It's usually 10G, 20G High and Long, 29G, 40G breeder and 55G tanks. That just ended November 5th.

No there is no duration that would guarantee it won't bust a seam or leak. The more pressure you add by adding rock,corals, sand, powerheads rocking water could be the deal breaker. Also, the lower in the tank the more pressure on the glass. I'm not sure if replacing the glass is cost effective depending on how much you paid. I'm not sure I would risk any livestock in the tank trying to save a used tank. Too Risky in my opinion and not counting the water damage it could cause to the home.

You could always check Craigslist or my favorite the Aquarium For Sale groups on Facebook.

[insert your favorite chain of expletives here]

The tank is a gift for my mom snagged it used in a Facebook deal so definitely annoyed that I'm going to have to get another but I appreciate the insight. More than anything I am concerned about a 45 gallon flood. I had a feeling this was the case just kind of freaked out completely and hoped this wouldn't be the case that someone would say it was fine lol.

Note to self: don't leave your younger brother to do what one should do on their own. ��

Might consider a tank of the same length to fit the stand and canopy... Will look around infuriated and dejected

Semi-urgent tank chipped

c5564b1da3be5868684723103809485e.jpg

Seems like such a waste of a great tank with thick glass!

PS I hope my pictures are not giant. Using Tapatalk since my laptop is out of commission

Seems like there would be the same issue of water and pressure if you use it as a sump or fuge :(

Back