Setting up a Juwel lido 200 help needed

Hartley25

Hello my name is Chris and I'm from the north west near Burnley and I'm thrilled to have joined. I'm new to the site and new to marine. I've kept African chiclids for a wile now and I'm thinking of converting to marine.
I've got a Juwel lido 200 with the internal filter in it and my budget isn't that big. I'd like to outline my plan based on research and get some feedback please as I need experienced advice.

So I'm planning on having my Juwel lido 200 with the Juwel sea skim protein skimmer on one side and I'm going to keep the internal filter on the other side to house the heater and pump. I plan on taking out all the filter sponges and just putting some carbon in there or maybe phosphate remover as well (thoughts on this pls). I'm going to use nature's ocean bio-active live argonite reef sand with live rock stacked up. Also I'll need a wave maker I'm told so some advice on how many and where to put them would be great.
Please let me no what you think all advice will be much appreciated thanks.

Hi Chris.

How much flow you need will depend on what you plan on stocking (fish and type of corals/inverts if any). GPH (gallons per hour) of water turnover in the tank should be 10-20X for fish and soft corals, 20-30X for lps coral and 30-40x for SPS coral. Nothing should be directly in front of a powerhead or getting continuously blasted by a jetstream :) Where you put the wave-maker/powerheads will depend on what powerhead you purchase and your rockscape since you want to avoid dead spots (areas of no water movement). Set up the rock how you like it and then place the powerhead(s) accordingly. Sometimes you'll need to compromise on the rockscape to get the best flow.

Don't go crazy with the rock and sand. 1/2 to an inch of the sand on the bottom is plenty (unless you plan on having burrowing fish/inverts) and try to leave some open space with the rockscape so corals have room to grow, fish have room to swim and water can circulate.

Back