Setting up all in one tank

djryan2000

My JBJ 45 came in today and I'm not quite sure what to do with the media bags they included or the Pond Matrix that I have coming in the mail. They put some carbon pellets and some cylindrical filter media. They're both in mesh bags. Do I just drop these in the sump in the different compartments? Or do I need to order anything, such as trays? What about for the pond matrix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could put the mesh bags in the (last chamber) of the sump. I wouldn't use the filter media as this tends to become a nitrate factory over time. The carbon will need to be replaced every 30 days or so.

You could put the mesh bags in the (last chamber) of the sump. I wouldn't use the filter media as this tends to become a nitrate factory over time. The carbon will need to be replaced every 30 days or so.

Thank you. Do you think pond matrix will turn into a nitrate factory? If not, do I just dump it in the sump chamber as is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with pond matrix is it will trap a lot of detritus which could cause problems with nitrates. Also, I don't know what it's made of or how it could affect your pH. I wouldn't use it, but that doesn't mean you can't.

Back