Shallow SPS Reef Growout Phase

Orr2003

Lost most of the sps color due to ulns which I wasnt trying to do. I have never been able to keep nitrate above zero in any of my tanks so couple weeks ago I started dosing KNO3. Most are already starting to show improvement. I have a clownfish broodstock tank hooked into the system and it gets fed a bunch but still no nitrates and very low phosphates. On a side note my Lightning Maroon pair and my Black Ice pair has finally started to spawn. Both pairs have laid twice. Going to let them go a few more time before I attempt to grow out the fry.

Do you use a Hannah Ultra Low for phosphate checking. ICP/IC test is necessary for accurate nitrate measurement. You very likely have some... like in the .1 to .5n and .01 p range - this is plenty. If you are not stripping them low artificially with organic carbon, LC or GFO, then they really cannot get to zero since the bacteria that eats the N cannot ever really get it all... and the aragonite swapping/binding the P also cannot remove lower than a certain equilibrium (depending on water concentration).

Dosing N will drive the creation of more anoxic bacteria to consume it. Dosing P will bind more to your rocks. More bacteria is not necessary and more P in your rocks and sand is not good. I would strongly suggest rethinking dosing any building blocks at least until you have some measurements in the PPB range.

Back