Show me pics of clowns hosting in BTA's

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

Sorry the pics are so crapps.

...When it comes to Entacmaea quadricolor (BTA) anemones, they are usually accepted as a surrogate host by A. ocellaris in captivity and usually rejected by A. percula. That's what you can expect to happen most of the time.

I disagree 100%

I think we have seen time and again that percs will host almost anything pretty easily, E.quad included . I have 1 that hosts a feather duster and 1 that hosts a rock of button polyps. I also have a male who never ever touches the anenome his mate lives in.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13979651#post13979651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Arati
...usually rejected by A. percula. That's what you can expect to happen most of the time.[/i]

I disagree 100%

I think we have seen time and again that percs will host almost anything pretty easily, E.quad included ...

thank you I don't know why that guy kept trying to rain on my parade

ahahah sucker!!:fish1: :fish2: :inlove: :bounce2: :bounce1: :bounce3: :bounce1:

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13979713#post13979713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phunkie99
thank you I don't know why that guy kept trying to rain on my parade

Or perhaps he was just giving you good advice. Sometimes it's not what you want hear.

DSC04778-vi.jpg

DSC04775-vi.jpg

DSC01638-vi.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13979651#post13979651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Arati
Sorry the pics are so crapps.

...When it comes to Entacmaea quadricolor (BTA) anemones, they are usually accepted as a surrogate host by A. ocellaris in captivity and usually rejected by A. percula. That's what you can expect to happen most of the time.

I disagree 100%

I think we have seen time and again that percs will host almost anything pretty easily, E.quad included . I have 1 that hosts a feather duster and 1 that hosts a rock of button polyps. I also have a male who never ever touches the anenome his mate lives in.

You are free to disagree with my advice that Percula clowns will usually reject Entacmaea quadricolor as a host but pointing out that they will adopt a feather duster, or any species of coral, is not a credible argument. They will frequently adopt Goniopora as a surrogate host even when a natural host anemone is available.

It is a fact that Entacmaea quadricolor is not a natural host to either A. percula or A. ocellaris. It's always best to research the natural associations before purchasing either an anemone or clownfish that you hope to provide with a host anemone in the future.

We have had several threads on this board over the past nine years soliciting anecdotal reports of E-quads being accepted as surrogate hosts by Percula clowns and Ocellaris clowns. Based on those anecdotal reports, it is reasonable to conclude that Ocellaris clowns usually accept them and Percula clowns usually reject them.

:D

I respect you tenure on both the site and the subject.

Calling it "ancedotal" when It is happening in my tank, infront of my eye's is an interesting choice of wording and a bit of a strecth

I base my statments on my own experiance. As much as I can respect yours. I stand by mine.

I do not think it unusual for A.Percual to reside in E.Quad in the home aquarium.

wodr,
Chris

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13984814#post13984814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Arati

Calling it "ancedotal" when It is happening in my tank, infront of my eye's is an interesting choice of wording and a bit of a strecth
Except that I didn't say that at all. I was in no way referring to your tank. I said that over the past nine years we have had threads on this board "soliciting anecdotal reports of E-quads being accepted as surrogate hosts by Percula clowns and Ocellaris clowns."

Your comment reveals a lack of understanding of the use of the word "anecdotal" when used in this context. Your report today in this thread is properly called "an anecdotal report." So are all of the reports in this thread, as were the reports in previous threads on this forum.

From Dictionary.com: 3. based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation: anecdotal evidence.

I suppose that the light may fall differently on the same picture for each of us.

I do think adopting a 3rd or 4th alternative definition to fit your argument is a strecth.

In this case I think we should use :anecdotal evidence

1) Evidence in the form of an anecdote or hearsay is called anecdotal if there is doubt about its veracity: the evidence itself is considered untrustworthy or untrue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

sorry for any thread hijackery~

Thanks Ninong :)

Chris

Last edited:
Chris,

What you call a "third or fourth definition" is actually the correct definition when used in this context. This is akin to folks who choose to confuse the scientific definition of the word "theory" with its more common, inappropriate definition.

Just as the word "theory" has a very precise definition when used in a scientific context, so does the word "anecdotal."

In a scientific context, all reports based on personal observation are called anecdotal reports and that is exactly how they are described in the hobby literature.

If one were to perform a search on Reef Central of all the posts by members reporting their personal observations of Entacmaea quadricolor being accepted or rejected by Amphiprion percula, that report would be based on "anecdotal evidence," even if each post was accompanied by a photograph documenting the event.

P.S. -- The definition you quoted applies to court cases: 1) Evidence in the form of an anecdote or hearsay is called anecdotal if there is doubt about its veracity: the evidence itself is considered untrustworthy or untrue.

The correct definition, when used in this context, is: 3. based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation: anecdotal evidence.

Whenever a member of Reef Central posts something to the forum based on personal observation of their tank or another tank, that is an anecdotal report.

Last edited:
Ninong, thanks for taking this thread now filled with beautiful pictures of alleged clowns supposedly hosting BTA's allegedly, and turning it into a discussion about the 3rd definition of anecdotal
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13974419#post13974419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phunkie99
...I just want to see some pictures of a clown hosting in a BTA if you don’t have pics to share thats cool move on. I realize it doesn’t always happen. I get it, but it does happen ...

p.s. please keep the anecdotal pictures coming thats what this thread was supposed to be:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13990130#post13990130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phunkie99
Ninong, thanks for taking this thread now filled with beautiful pictures of alleged clowns supposedly hosting BTA's allegedly, and turning it into a discussion about the 3rd definition of anecdotal

p.s. please keep the anecdotal pictures coming thats what this thread was supposed to be:D

It takes 2, and so far I see a pretty calm debate. Not a bad thing. ;)

Back