Show your Mangrove Systems

mines nothing too complicated, its in a container in my sump with a deep sand bed and its just 1 red mangrove, i have a regular 6700k daylight bulb from the local lowes and a clip on light fixture and i run my light 12 hours a day and i water it with RO/DI water every other day, its growing like crazy!

DSC_0854.jpg

DSC_0844.jpg

DSC_0845.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

I get great root growth with mine, but never get any leaves at all. I have tried a couple different bulbs and locations in my sump etc. Any suggestions?

time, i have several that have awesome root growth, but have no greens yet. as long as they are still firm at the top they should be fine.

mines nothing too complicated, its in a container in my sump with a deep sand bed and its just 1 red mangrove, i have a regular 6700k daylight bulb from the local lowes and a clip on light fixture and i run my light 12 hours a day and i water it with RO/DI water every other day, its growing like crazy!

DSC_0854.jpg

DSC_0844.jpg

DSC_0845.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

why do you water it with ro water?

It helps the plant shed the salt that accumulates. I think by water he means sprays or rinses the leaves.

mine is still in its infancy, I'm currently building a 240 for a full mangrove swamp. I hope to trade out some of the trees with local reefers for frags... water is still a bit murky, I've been pulling sand out of my DT for this project...

016-3.jpg

yeah, im sorry i didnt specify, i spray the leaves to remove the salt that excretes through the leaves, if not it clogs the pours of the leaves.

that mangrove swamp is going to look awesome!!!

it seemed the easiest way at the time. I didn't want to use wood in there and I don't have any plastic rods handy. It will look lots better when I can see though the sides, if I ever get this stupid stand done.

Back