shrimp

spotfin

The Maine shrimp season has begun! Saw some the other day that were carrying lots of eggs. For the new folks here, Maine shrimp are harvested and often sold whole (heads on). The female shrimp carry eggs under their tail. These eggs are great zooplankton for your fish and corals that eat meaty foods. Plus, the shrimp meat (raw) is great for larger fish. Season goes through April of 2007.

Schweeeeettt, have net will travel!!!

Jay, is it cool for us to drop back by the aquatic center to go wading, or do we need an employee such as yourself with us???

:D
Laurie

Maybe a great meet, a shrimp abortion clinic so to speak ;)

The fish LOVE the eggs!

Think we will see roadside vendors soon? Maybe Dan L can get us some ?

Denise

I bought some last night at the Hallowell seafood market. My fish loved the eggs, and the stingrays got some fresh shrimp cocktail. The season usually starts of slow. I would guess that in a few weeks the catch will pick up and the road side vendors will show up.

I almost stopped in there on my way home from work yesterday. I should today, fresh is the best!

Dave

Right you are Laurie... I found a bunch of those party cube trays..they make a nice serving size .. I always add them to my Marine Manna ;) I saw a vendor in Rockland when I was there the other day!

Denise

Just thought id let you guys know... for all you who have critters that like meaty the University of New England in Biddeford is giving away Caplin and Herring that they use for feeding the seals that has sat in the freezer to long. Let me know if you want me to post information on how to get in contact with them.

Keep in mind that the herring is very oily. Would be great for garden fertilizer or compost pile though.

Yes, it is very oily, but that also means that the nutritional value of it is very high as well... its why they use it for the seals... its a trade off...

I stopped by the Hallowell seafood market last night and they said they would have some in Friday. Can't wait!

Maine shrimp season ends today. If you want some, better get it soon! Are you looking for 100 lbs for human consumption or fish food? Might be able to work out a deal with hannaford/Shaws or maybe travel to the coast.

Is Dan (Small I think is his last name) still around? He was close with ME2003 and Bunsenburner.... He used to get loads of shrimp and bring them to meets 6 yrs ago :)

Back