Sick Anemone

newreefbishop

Premium Member
So after two months of my BTA looking nice and healthy something is wrong. Basically it started roughly 3 days ago, I fed her a shrimp which she ate....I noticed she didnt "jump" on it like usual....had to coax her to grab shrimp. Now she seems to just be hanging there. Her foot hasnt let loose but she looks sick...

Is there anything I can do to nurse her back, and how do I know when she is gone?

As foster said pics would be helpful. Also tank parameters, what type of lighting, any changes in setup recently?

Here are some before and after pics....this goes from less than a month ago to today

Clowns003-1.jpg

Clowns004-1.jpg

Clowns008.jpg

Clowns007.jpg

Is this a case where I need to wait till it melts....and if and when that happens what should I do? Water Change, etc

Last tests

Nitrites - undetectable
Nitrates- undetectable
Ammonia- Undetectable
Ca- 430
Ph 8.2

the only change was adding some DIY live rock about 2 weeks ago....this was being kured for a total of 4 weeks.....and tested out fine.....before it went into display it sat in fuge for 2 weeks.....at which time the first set of pics where taken.....and this hasnt affected any other corals or my rock anemone.....

Is there anything I can do.....or should I take it out now?

It doesnt look good. But try to remain optimistic, BTAs can suprise you once in a while.

You will begin to see little parts of it melting, usually, on the underside were it rest on the LR. keep a close eye on it.

Good luck

Oh forgot to say that I have it under 215 watts of flows...PC's and HO.

It was in a portion of the tank with moderate flow.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8126238#post8126238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newreefbishop
if that is the case what do i need to do? Should i take it out? let my cleanup crew handle it, water change?

If it starts to melt remove it ASAP and do a water change.

Get water flow on it till it moves. Don't feed it unless it is agressive and open again. BTA like water surges.

My anemone looked exactly like that this morning but I couldn't do anything about it because I had to be at work. I worried about it all day but when I got home this afternoon he was all puffed out again. He did move to the back of the rock where he is less visible though. :mad: Today was his feeding day and he ate just fine.

He's fairly new to the tank and is still recovering from the damage my maroons did when he first arrived. I think he grew since yesterday. His nubby tentacles look longer and his main body looks bigger as well. I think I heard from somewhere that when anemones shrivel up like that it could mean they're hitting a growth spurt of sorts... Anyone else hear that?

I havent tried direct flor....but will.....how strong does it need to be and will he walk....i hvae corals all around him he hadnt moved in three months and hoping that he doesnt.....

Im really not sure what is going on but today she started to come back....didnt move the pumps much.....but she actually started to right herself......and is opening up. I will continue to watch for the next few days to see what she does....

For future reference, enough flow to move the tenticles. This keeps the oxygen high and removes any waste it is producing.

Back