Sick Wrasse - what is this?

Reefers4U

Hey RC:

Check out these photos. What does this wrasse have?

Its been in the QT for 5 days now - all other fish look fine. We haven't started medicating any fish yet.

Params are nominal.

This morning he seems to be gasping for air. I pulled it out and found these spots. He is not eating.

Thanks a ton, Dr. H.. Your words provided me comfort and resolve.

I went out to get some meds and by the time I came home the wrasse had expired. The disappointment is palpable.

I also discovered the second wrasse was exhibiting signs of distress like gasping at the top of the water.

I dropped Furan 2 and the wrasse seemed to stabilize within a few hours.

Can I substitute Methalyne Blue for Kanaplex or Metroplex?

Last edited:
Update:

Some fish are looking good (firefish) others like the goby and blenny are doing ok but not eating. I've offered frozen bloodworms, marine cuisine, and NLS pellets.

The remaining wrasse (melanarus) looks much better than 48 hours ago but is still breathing hard despite the air stone.

I mistakenly added APIs Pimafix due to a communication error with the LFS. I hope this won't cause problems.

I cannot easily locate Kanaplex or Metroplex but will continue to try. I am continuing the Furan 2 doses and 25% w/c

Update:

Found Kanaplex and Metroplex and followed the instructions.

We have arrested the loss of fish. Everyone is very hungry now. Wrasse is shy but eating.

Will keep these meds on hand going forward.

Thanks for the advice HumbleFish.

Back