sick tank

simo2004

After some help here.. I’ve either got something going on with the water or some kind of disease etc

Back ground is I’m build a 3m tank for my fish in a new house .. my fish are sat in a 4x2x2 since the house move approx. 8 months and while I build the big tank its ran off 2 external filters and the live rock out the old tank

In the tank was

Huge blue face angle
Large Naso tank
Long horn cow fish
Blue ribbon eel
dussumieri tang hover craft box fish

3 months ago, I added a small dussumieri tang that had been in the lfs 6 weeks while I set a qt tank up .. this was in observation 3 weeks no issues .. into the tank and everything is good

A hover craft box fish came up on a waiting list I was on for over 12 months so I took this only been less than 1 inch assumed be ok .. in QT for 2 weeks when the tank sprung a leak as it had no issues it went into the 4X2X2

How ever id noticed when feeding the fish, they eat like pigs mainly as only feeding once a day trying to keep the bio load down but as eating and after they were heavy breathing .. but before feeding were find did a water change but all seemed ok other than this. Checked salt and was slightly low so topped up to 35ppm

2 weeks ago I lost a blue ribbon eels what had stopped eating so assume this was down to that

Approx. a week after that fed the fish all good then within 5min the dussumieri tang was looking very stressed gasping and not swimming other fish seemed fine ..

I took the decision to catch the dussumieri tang and add to another QT id set up .. put the net in and the water was cold !! 17c checked the 2 heaters both off.. somehow something has hit the switch on the switched extension cable and nocked them off !!

I thought that’s the issue sorted turn them back on .. water was temp came up to around 26c but unfortunately the dussumieri tang went into the area of the blue face sits and got a beating and the time I got him out he was hardly moving and passed

I put the dead dussumieri tang into plane water to see if anything would come off it such as flukes but nothing

Another water change check salt 35ppm temp 26.5c

Fish still gasping . added an air stone off amazon which just seem to stress the fish and not correct any low oxygen issues if that was the problem

Today my cow fish is erratically swimming and not eating, breathing fast ! ☹

I’m going to the LTF today to see if my salt levels are ok as have no calibration fluid for the hanna checker

Here is a video of the box fish gasping while the blue face and hoover craft box fish are breathing normal

It’s as if something is jumping fish to fish

There are no visible signs of disease such as spots etc

I just need to get them through another month of the 4x2x2 then they will have 3000ltr to enjoy and typical I’m away for a week next week so will have a tank sitter ☹

I have noticed when looking at videos they have been in there 9 months and looking at the video they have always have been breathing heavy

these videos were uploaded 9 months ago so poor water or something they have had awhile

Can you give us some more specifics on your tank and setup?

What is the capacity (liters or gallons) of the tank?
What specific filtration are you using?
What are you feeding the fish and how often do you feed??
Can you provide a full picture of the tank?
What are your other tank parameters, specifically Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate?

Hoping with this information that @leebca @HumbleFish @Dr. Reef can help.

I see some serious heavy breathing. Usually indicates parasites of some type or very bad water quality. What are your tanks water parameters (possible low pH)?

pH?
AlK?
Calcium?
Magnesium?
Ammonia?
Nitrites?
Nitrates?

I have noticed when looking at videos they have been in there 9 months and looking at the video they have always have been breathing heavy

these videos were uploaded 9 months ago so poor water or something they have had awhile

I agree with simo2004. It appears the problem has been already in the tank for at least 9 months as the videos show the Naso tang heavy breathing 9 months ago. Seems parasite related to me, maybe marine velvet or some other parasite.

Please provide water parameters to rule out water quality.

Back