Simple tool to remove the Volute on a Sicce pump

Buganddoug

X NJRC Vice President
Here is a tool I made to make it Super easy to remove and put back on the Volute from the Sicce PSK-2500 pump. I got the Idea from Jon Warner at Warner Marine Research.
Very easy to make out of 1.5" PVC T fitting.
I have done it two ways One just for the pump and the other is if you have a Venturi you need to clear.
#1 1.5" T and Volute
picture.php

#2 Put the T on top of the Volute.
picture.php

mark the T with a marker with the lines in the Volute. There will be three.
picture.php

#4 Now cut the T at the marked lines about .5"
picture.php

picture.php

#5 you are done if you do not have a Venturi on it for protein skimmer.
picture.php

#6 If you have a Venturi you will have to make a long hole so you can put it on with the Venturi. Just make sure your Venturi will be in the right spot.
picture.php

I hope this helps you all out.
Daniel

Good idea

Good idea

Great idea and probably worth mentioning that the hole drilled for the "air intake" should be large enough to make sure that no pressure is applied to it while removing or installing the volute. the three 'cuts' in the end are what should do the force work, otherwise if someone shortcuts the idea they will snap off the air intake.

Great idea, I just want to make sure no one misunderstands the intent of the tool.

Perfect!!!

I was wondering how I was ever going to get this thing apart when it came time to "de-calcify"

Thank you!

Come on in all most 200 lookers and no one maid one but Me. It works great!! the Volute comes off with no problem and goes on super easy.
I was just looking for some fedback on how you like the way it works.

My Octo Extreme failed this morning because the impeller broke in my Sicce. Of course I had to take the pump apart to figure out what happened. I just happened to read this thread last night - good timing. I didn't have a Tee so I just used a 6" length of 1.5" PCV. Worked just fine. Thanks for the suggestion. I would have probably hacked it to death with vice grips if I hadn't seen this!!

My Octo Extreme failed this morning because the impeller broke in my Sicce. Of course I had to take the pump apart to figure out what happened. I just happened to read this thread last night - good timing. I didn't have a Tee so I just used a 6" length of 1.5" PCV. Worked just fine. Thanks for the suggestion. I would have probably hacked it to death with vice grips if I hadn't seen this!!

Great to hear it worked for you! The one nice thing is you can keep the volute looking nice and new if you did not hacked it up.

I have to post some pictures but I just got through making mine and it was shocking how simple and easy this thing is to make............and works like a charm!!!

Back