Skimmer for Small Sump

mann1139

What is the recommended setup for a skimmer with a small sump?

I installed ProFlex Model 1 Sump a couple months ago under by my 40g Breeder.

I had a HOB remora on the tank before I installed the sump. I left that on as it was too big to HOB of the sump. This sump has the same footprint as a 10g tank, so not a lot of space.

The Remora isn't working as well as it used to, so I would like to install a skimmer 'down below', but I am having problems finding a unit that will work.

The middle chamber of the sump, which I am using as a refugium, only has a footprint of 4.75" x 9.5", so it would be difficult to split. The water level in the third chamber varies from 5" to 9", and the wall in there is 13" (but could be made higher if necessary).

What are my skimmer options?

may even consider removing the refugium and only have a skimmer? I do not have a refugium on my 150 and have no issues. I do have an over sized skimmer down there since I have room. Back when I ran a fuge it was more housekeeping for me, didn't ever see the benefit for my setup (mixed reef) that I couldn't fix with skimming and waterchanges.

may even consider removing the refugium and only have a skimmer? I do not have a refugium on my 150 and have no issues. I do have an over sized skimmer down there since I have room. Back when I ran a fuge it was more housekeeping for me, didn't ever see the benefit for my setup (mixed reef) that I couldn't fix with skimming and waterchanges.

This is a FOWLR tank. I want to keep the bioload relatively high, and like having the refugium to keep the algae where I can control it.

Back