Skimmer head cleaner operating times ?

furface

Hiya ReefCentral people ! ! Just want to see what you people run your skimmer head cleaner at ? Do you have it on a timer ? Or do you just turn it on once or a couple of times a day ? I suppose as a reef tank progresses it may come to a point where it needs to be on
More Regularly or full time.

What’s the general consensus ?
Thanks Reef folk !

I’m my skimmer cleaner and remove the cup to clean the neck/cup whenever it’s dirty or full😂

I'm the same as George. Sometimes I have to use the disposal to get the sink to drain.

Was going to but the neck cleaner…. but uhh, it just dumps it back into the skimmer to be re-skimmed from what I gather.

I’ve decided I’ll just switch it on for 20 or 30 seconds when I remember or it looks a bit dirty.
Happy Days ! ! !

They never ttry one and belive too much into dissinformations writed online from someone who not produce them: ))

-I run it on 20 seconds/day, in that time it wipe neck in 5 or 6 circles and thats more than needed for mine application. If you do not have seconds setting timer a one minute would be okay but run it continously would burn it probably. You can also turn it on a couple times a day with no ill effect but im sure that is not needed

Scaped material goes into skimmer cup : ))
-if you take a little bit of skimmate and spill it back into skimmer body, what happen?, it dissolve and finish in aquarium water as nitrates and other filthy stuff? Or get skimmed right away back into cup?

Last edited:
Scaped material goes into skimmer cup : ))
-if you take a little bit of skimmate and spill it back into skimmer body, what happen?, it dissolve and finish in aquarium water as nitrates and other filthy stuff? Or get skimmed right away back into cup?
It goes right back into the water where it has to be skimmed back out. Rinse (no pun) repeat.
I would rather catch it all the first time around and pour it down the drain. I also don't want to have to deal with cleaning the neck cleaner.

Okay, but what you say is personal prefernce not disaadvantage of cleaner. Some people do not need light timer but that does not mean that is bad to have one.

-actually, scraped material stay on wiper, if i do not clean it for very long periods of time then yes, it will fal back into skimmer body and then it start skimm like crazy and lot of that stuff get into cup very fast.
Question is, do neck cleaners produce any noticeable amount of nitrates and phosphates in tank? If so, then i agree they are bad, if not, then is good to have one because skimmer works on 100% all time with clean neck after scraper blade what left just right amount of film so it does not go trough cycle like it does when i hand wash it

Back