Skimmer issue

msbreton

I've had the Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 Protein Skimmer running in my sump without issue for about 2.5 years. Over the past few months, I've had an issue where is starts to break higher and higher in to the neck. I adjust and within a few days its back to breaking too high. I've raised the skimmer and or lowered the water level and all will be good for a few days and then it's back to adjusting to keep it breaking at the right spot until I can't adjust anymore. I can't raise the skimmer or lower the water level anymore as I'm at the minimum operating level now. I've taken the whole thing apart and cleaned it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Mike

Last edited:
I don't think so. In fact, the bioload has decreased over the past 2 years. Phosphate and nitrate levels run near 0.

-Mike

Thanks. I tear it about again tonight and give it another once over. The silencer is built in to the neck so it is possible there's some salt creep up in there I missed.

I think I have it figured out. The gears in the adjustment arm sometimes "miss" and thus the dial gets out of sync with the open/close level. After a while, the dial gets maxed out even though there's still room to adjust. I can work around it but I think I'll just replace the entire adjustment arm.

Thanks...

Back